Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
SS_06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Lemon Law

Any of you guys or gals have any luck with the Lemon Law? Was it a pain to deal with. How did you fair with it? I' m fixing to start the paper work for my 2006 GT. It has been to the shop for the 4th time today for the same problem(all in the last month).Car has only 6000 miles on it.It is the DTE FLI data error where the gauges don't work, engine light on, parking brake light on, tcs off. They have replaced the smart box twice and once it was the battery. This is in Florida by the way. Any help or input would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lemon Law

I also will be interested in the responses to this . . . .
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I reside in Maryland. And back in 1989 my girlfriend (who now is my wife) bought a 1989 Olds Cutlass Calia. We had the car for one year. We paid $12K and change for the car in cash. From day one whenever it rained the car would have water on the floor. If it rained a lot then there would be a lot of water on the floor. After we had taken it back to Olds for the same problem without remedy we asked Olds to either give us a refund or give us a new car. They balked at both options, They did want to offer us .50 cents to the dollar of the bought price. Anyway we acquired a lemon law packet from the Motor Vehicle Admin. My wife diligently followed all the steps required. It took some effort, but finally we had a hearing on the matter. Us versus Olds. An old retired guy was the moderator. After we gave our side of the story, it was Olds turn. They calimed the water issue was corrected. The moderator, pauses and then says, "theres an automatic car wash right next door. If we run the car through the wash and it has water inside, then we'll know if its been fixed. Would you be willing to do this"? Well no lawyer worth his salt would allow a test to prceed without first having done the test himself. However, I felt I was boxed in a corner so I said "Sure, lets do it". As the car was about to enter the carwash, the moderator reached down and felt the carpet. "Its damp but not wet" he said. As the car went through the wash I was pacing like a nervous wreck. The car finally came from the carwash and as the Moderator was trying to open the door I was trying to climb over his shoulder to get a look. He opened the door and started to reach down to feel the carpet. He suddenly stopped and said, "no need touch that carpet, there's three inches of water in this car"! I was jumping up and down like I had just scored a hat trick in the Stanley Cup final. As I parked the car the Olds rep talked to my wife and offered a new car. We told Olds and the Moderator that we had to go through all this effort to rectify the problemwhen all we ever wanted was a new car. So since we had to go through this crap , screw the car we wanted our money.
You can't get back the sales tax but from the $12000 and change we wound up getting $11,025 back, The car had 9000 miles on it as well.
My guess is they shipped the car to Arizona and sold it to some poor unsuspecting person.
BTW. I remember that when we bought the car it was inside the showroom. When I sat inside I told my wife,"I'm a Ford person so it may just be me but this car has the worst new car smell I have ever gotten a whiff of". Turns out it was mildewing all along.
I strongly urge everyone who feels wronged by a car maker to seek the lemon law. It takes effort but its worth it in the long run.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I've never tried the "lemon law" but I think it may take more than four times to the shop for the same thing to be able to clame it as a lemon. Good luck with it though. I'd want a different car also with that kind of problem happening.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
numb
1st Gear Member

Contact a lawyer,Call ford directly not the dealers and give complaint.U gotta go through ford.I am on my fifth torque converter and now have 11k on my 06 gt.I called ford and voiced my complaint that if it happens again i want my money back and i would be calling a lawyer.My mom has had 2 lemon fords,A 89 aerostar and a 95 focus,So ill let her deal with them if it happens again lol.Is ur car tuned?Any mods?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

Florida Lemon Law says 3 times for the same repair. I'd start filing the paperwork now and continue to have the car repaired under warranty. Maybe they'll finally figure it out before the long paperwork trail winds it's way to the Mediator. And if they don't fix the problem by then you'll at least have 6+ attempts at allowing the dealer to fix it, which looks bad for them. I hope they furnish a rental car each time they have it in for random parts swappage. Good luck and don't let the Bastards win.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
dawater

I had an '05 GTO that I just sold last weekend. It was in the shop 6 or 7 times (around 45 days), all for different things covered under warranty (whining rear end, accelerator pedal, ignition switch that took a month to get from Australia, coolant hose installed wrong from the factory, belt, pulley, etc). I did a search on google about lemon law, filled out a form, and received a response from a lawyer within a day or so. The lawyer talkedwith GM, and GM said they didn't consider it to be a lemon, but theywouldsettle and give me$2500 forthe troubles that I had. Iresponded through the lawyer that Iwould take $4000. GM settled for $5500 ($1500 to the lawyer, 4k to me), and let me keep the car. It was a love/hate relationship with the car. I loved it when it didn't have problems, hated it when it did. It had another problem (after I settled with GM), and when I was taking it in to the dealership, the problem went away.The problemwas off and on for a couple weeks, so I decided to sell the car, and find a Mustang GT. The new owner of the GTO loves it (I told him about all the repairs, and the current off and on problem), and I'm looking for a 05+ GT. Hopefully, I'll find one this week.

My advice is to contact a lemon lawyer in the manner that I did. It was very painless, and you could use that money for mods (I used mine to buy ARB air lockers and 4.88:1 gearsfor my FZJ80), if it doesn't get lemoned. I live under the Arkansas lemon law, but the online lawyer wasbased inAtlanta.

I know another person who had a similar problem to yours and had it in the shop 6+ times for the same thing. They finally fixed it (they were replacing the wrong parts for a randomly occurringproblem), and the car has been great ever since.

Hope this helps.