Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers for 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Headers for 05 GT

crazyal, from what you said headers would be pointless for me, what would u say would be the best mod for me with 1k, hp wise
Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Bestbang for the buckfor $1K,CAI with tune and underdrive pullies. I did a Steeda CAI w/91 octane tune (live in southern California), Steeda underdrive pullies and Steeda charge motion plates, installed by JBA. got 312WRHP from my 07 GT 5sp on JBA's dyno. CARB certified and ready to go. Average stock RWHP is about 273. Nice bang for the buck. I also nixed the shorty header as the power incresewas to small for their cost.

dseid2

[IMG]local://upfiles/63299/D9809AC0C76C4B6D929D999E13598A7E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Personally, I don't think there is a point to installing shorties. The price is just way too high for the small gain.

Remrats, I suggest suspension, suspension, suspension!! Adding more HP is useless if you can't put what you've got to the ground...and from the mods in your sig I'm willing to bet that you've got traction or wheelspin problems. Spinnin' ain't winnin, as some people say.

Something to keep in mind: Most smog inspections won't even notice if you have headers so long as you have cats. It's very, very, few areas that will actually catch you....so I say that if you want headers, go for it. But, technically they ARE illegal.

I have longtubes on my car....and I've already passed an inspection with them on there. This was a legit inspection--not "my buddy" doing it, or anything like that.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Personally, I don't think there is a point to installing shorties. The price is just way too high for the small gain.

Remrats, I suggest suspension, suspension, suspension!! Adding more HP is useless if you can't put what you've got to the ground...and from the mods in your sig I'm willing to bet that you've got traction or wheelspin problems. Spinnin' ain't winnin, as some people say.

Something to keep in mind: Most smog inspections won't even notice if you have headers so long as you have cats. It's very, very, few areas that will actually catch you....so I say that if you want headers, go for it. But, technically they ARE illegal.

I have longtubes on my car....and I've already passed an inspection with them on there. This was a legit inspection--not "my buddy" doing it, or anything like that.
I believe I'm correct in saying. Just keep your OEM parts incase you may need them. Everything is clamped on and it isn't like you are going to make any money on the OEM parts on e-bay!!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That depends on what parts. I sold my old H-pipe and everything back from there for quite a lot of money on Ebay. The V6 guys buy GT parts so they can put duals on their cars.

...but nobody is going to buy manifolds.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

That depends on what parts. I sold my old H-pipe and everything back from there for quite a lot of money on Ebay. The V6 guys buy GT parts so they can put duals on their cars.

...but nobody is going to buy manifolds.
I put the SLP long tubes with high flow catted X pipe on a few months ago. Even though you may get a fair amount of cash for the OEM setup, since the federal law says this changeout is illegal, I would keep the OEM parts just in case you are "forced" to roll back. Just the OEM H pipe costs about 1700.00 to replace. Very expensive. In Oregon we have emissions testing every 2 years, but they just plug into the ECM and read it for codes. Hopefully they won't look under the car.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dseid2

Bestbang for the buckfor $1K,CAI with tune and underdrive pullies. I did a Steeda CAI w/91 octane tune (live in southern California), Steeda underdrive pullies and Steeda charge motion plates, installed by JBA. got 312WRHP from my 07 GT 5sp on JBA's dyno. CARB certified and ready to go. Average stock RWHP is about 273. Nice bang for the buck. I also nixed the shorty header as the power incresewas to small for their cost.

dseid2

[IMG]local://upfiles/63299/D9809AC0C76C4B6D929D999E13598A7E.jpg[/IMG]
He already has an Intake and am I wrong or have I heard that Underdrive pullies sometimes make it so your AC doesn't work? It gets up to 115 where we live (me and Remrats) and AC is usually needed.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 PM
ovrpar6
2nd Gear Member

I don't know where Crazy AI gets his numbers but you can get Shorty Headers at Brenspeed for your '05 for $379.53 with FREE shipping.

Even at 5HP (which I bet is more) less than 4 bills and add an x pipe is well worth the cash!

Look on e-bay and you can save even more...as low as $269.99 for shorty headers
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
ovrpar6
2nd Gear Member

I don't know where Crazy AI gets his numbers but you can get Shorty Headers at Brenspeed for your '05 for $379.53 with FREE shipping.

Even at 5HP (which I bet is more) less than 4 bills and add an x pipe is well worth the cash!

Look on e-bay and you can save even more...as low as $269.99 for shorty headers
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Sure, you can get shorties for around $380..(or even less as you mentioned). But you have to look at the whole picture. Most of the really cheap shorty kits don't have gaskets, bolts, etc...so you have to buy those too. And, then it's time for the install. If you can do it yourself, that's one thing. But most people won't do that. Then you're looking at anywhere from 4 hours (if you are very lucky) and up for labor. The Ford book puts headers at 6 hours if I remember correctly. At typical rates, that's $400 or more. It is not unreasonable to pay $600-800 to buy shorties and have them installed. If you are also buying a new midpipe then the package can easily hit $1000.

There are numerous dyno comparisons of shorties before and after at various places. Do a forum search and you can find several of them. But 5 HP peak is about right. The best I have personally witnessed on the Dyno was8 HP peak, which included an X-pipe (Even more $$$).

Personally I don't think that's even close to being worth it. You could get CMCP deletes instead and pick up the same (if notmore) HP for $90 in parts and less than an hour of labor....or do UDPs. $200 (ish)and an hour of labor for a similar gain. Want another option? Get an offroad midpipe or one with high-flow cats....again, a much cheaper install, making for a much better deal in the end.

In my opinion there's little point in the shorties. If you are going to pay a few hundred $$$ for labor (or if you are going to spend several hours of your own time to do the work yourself), why not install LTs instead? The labor is the same, but the HP gains are much greater.

Quick Reply: Best Headers for 05 GT