Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages is it True

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM
ponyskunk06
1st Gear Member

Default Guages is it True

Is it true that the engine coolant temp and oil press guages on our cars arent really guages in that they dont show incremwnt but rather show eiter normal or high readings
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Guages is it True

That’s true they are basically idiot lights with a needle indicator.

Earl
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Yeppers
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

True dat..
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

I would disagree. They are technically gauges no matter how they are marked. You may not be able to read a number, like 50 PSIG or 190 deg F, but you will have a sense of where the oil and water temps are running, i.e., a little below normal, normal, higher than normal, etc. An idiot light, on the other hand,will only indicate when the oil pressure drops very low or the coolant temp isexcessively high.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

I would disagree. They are technically gauges no matter how they are marked. You may not be able to read a number, like 50 PSIG or 190 deg F, but you will have a sense of where the oil and water temps are running, i.e., a little below normal, normal, higher than normal, etc. An idiot light, on the other hand,will only indicate when the oil pressure drops very low or the coolant temp isexcessively high.
Yeppers
True dat..

Old 03-13-2007, 02:10 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

+1 on that lee, they are way better than dumbell lights, at least you can determine a normal range and know when something is wrong.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

I would disagree. They are technically gauges no matter how they are marked. You may not be able to read a number, like 50 PSIG or 190 deg F, but you will have a sense of where the oil and water temps are running, i.e., a little below normal, normal, higher than normal, etc. An idiot light, on the other hand, will only indicate when the oil pressure drops very low or the coolant temp is excessively high.
With the coolant temp gauge I agree, but not so with the oil pressure gauge. It does not vary. If you have any pressure at all the needle will go its normal spot and stop. It's an on/off signal sent to the gauge from the oil pressure sender. If you don't believe me then consider this: immediately after a cold start up at idle you should be running about 90 - 100 psi of oil pressure. At idle after all warmed up at normal temperature you should be running about 25 psi. I'm sorry, but the stock oil pressure gauge is not moving. It just tells you if you have pressure.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 PM
mtusrsmith

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

With the coolant temp gauge I agree, but not so with the oil pressure gauge. It does not vary. If you have any pressure at all the needle will go its normal spot and stop. It's an on/off signal sent to the gauge from the oil pressure sender. If you don't believe me then consider this: immediately after a cold start up at idle you should be running about 90 - 100 psi of oil pressure. At idle after all warmed up at normal temperature you should be running about 25 psi. I'm sorry, but the stock oil pressure gauge is not moving. It just tells you if you have pressure.

That would be a pressure switch. The oil pump has one, thecooling systemdoesn't...

If the engine temperature did have a'switch', it would always point to the same place on the guage (like the oil pressure does). Don't be alarmed, Ford has been doing this on their oil pumps for years... Flame if you must, but of all the problems I've had with my Ford cars and trucks, oil systems haven't been to blame.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

No matter how accurate they are, these gauges at least LOOK great- MUCH cooler than the usual "idiot lights".
I just wish we could have a few more of 'em (oil temp, water pressure, etc.).
Hey, here's a thought: how about weight gauges for both the driver and passenger seats?!
I'll bet that would help a lot of folks go on a diet (and, more importantly, stick to it!).
They should be standard Govt. issue and mandated for every new car (like the new TPS) and would not only help save countless lives and reduce our Gazillion-dollar health-care budget, but (more importantly) they would help establish weight handicapping rules for street racing (like those used for horse racing jockeys).
Patent pending.......

[IMG]local://upfiles/53083/DFF34A74B2CA4997AAEB7B6DB9DFF9E8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Guages is it True