Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages is it True

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Guages is it True

Or how about clutch pedal positon indicator to guage the release point better...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06tyrfryr

you will not build excess oil pressure on cold start up to 90 or 100 psi because your oil pump has a pressure relief valve. if not it would blow the seems apart on your oil filter. that is why your guage doesnt appear to vary. they are pumping enough volume and pressure to keep it maxed out even when the engine is warm
90 to 100 psi will *not* blow the oil filter. That's a very normal range of oil pressure after a cold start up on an engine. I've seen this on countless cars with real oil pressure senders and gauges, including my 32V 4.6 in my Marauder.

The stock gauge in the Mustang does not move because it's just indicating pressure, not how much of it you have. Do you really believe you are making the same PSI in oil pressure at idle that you are at WOT? If so, you need to find another hobby, my friend.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

you will not build excess oil pressure on cold start up to 90 or 100 psi because your oil pump has a pressure relief valve. if not it would blow the seems apart on your oil filter. that is why your guage doesnt appear to vary. they are pumping enough volume and pressure to keep it maxed out even when the engine is warm
Put down the pipe guy. Oil pressure on these cars is
30 PSI - 80 PSI cold
20 PSI - 70 PSI hot

If the damn stock needle was anything but an idiot light - it would move.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:31 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I have a proper aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine and it does read higher when cold and at higher rpms. The stock oil gauge is driven by a simple on/off switch that closes the contacts in the presence of "some" oil pressure. I know this to be fact because I checked using an ohm meter on the stock sender to learn this.
Makes me wonder... If the on/off part of the system is in the oil pressure sensor, could one replace it with another unit? get the voltage calibrated and maybe the stock oil pressure guage would show a difference between 20 psi & 80 psi... The ecu may not bealtering/reading the signal, just passing it through.

The stock sensor is 'set' to 5ish psi. If it is just a closure switch, then it's probably recieving/sending something like 5 volts or 12 volts (REALLY low amps of course ). If the stocker goes to the middle of the guage with 5+psi, when we really want 50ish to be the middle. calibrate 50 psi on real guage to the voltage the original sent out.

Tom
Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: SlideWRX

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I have a proper aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine and it does read higher when cold and at higher rpms. The stock oil gauge is driven by a simple on/off switch that closes the contacts in the presence of "some" oil pressure. I know this to be fact because I checked using an ohm meter on the stock sender to learn this.
Makes me wonder... If the on/off part of the system is in the oil pressure sensor, could one replace it with another unit? get the voltage calibrated and maybe the stock oil pressure guage would show a difference between 20 psi & 80 psi... The ecu may not bealtering/reading the signal, just passing it through.

The stock sensor is 'set' to 5ish psi. If it is just a closure switch, then it's probably recieving/sending something like 5 volts or 12 volts (REALLY low amps of course ). If the stocker goes to the middle of the guage with 5+psi, when we really want 50ish to be the middle. calibrate 50 psi on real guage to the voltage the original sent out.

Tom
No the stock pressure guage will not show actual pressure with the
addition of a new sender capable of varying the voltage verses pressure.
The stock sensor has one wire going to it and it grounds this at over
?5? PSI or something. Not sending or receiving any 5V or 12V at
any amps. No go on the replace the sender and get a working OEM
oil pressure guage reading. Kinda makes me glad I didnt go for the
upgraded insturment cluster with the 2 extra "guages" and the my
color. The good ol handy MSD DashHawk shows hundreds of
parameters and does 1/4 mile and 0-60 times to boot. And you
can read and reset error codes.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

thanks again to those that know. i'm constantly reminded that i have a lot to learn