Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't ford...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Default Why can't ford...

...Build a fast automatic stang? As I've mentioned, I rented an '06 auto vert and blasted it up to Whistler. It's not to say it's slow but it certainly left me wanting in the acceleration department. Going back to '87, there has always been such a difference in performance between the slushbox and the T5 in stangs. An '87 couldn't light the tires without starting with a brakestand. Even then, once the brake was released the smokeshow stopped almost IMMEDIATELY. The same was true with the '06 I rented. What gears do the new stangs come with? I know adding gear would help but probably not enough. I am a ford guy so don't get me wrong but my friend who drove up with me and my girl has a 95(!!!) black t-roof equipped M6 LT1 Z28 which is bone stock like the stang. He fed me my *** in every kind of race we came up with. It just dissapointed me that a 12 year old cartook me downafter all the smack (jokingly) I was talking. GM somehow has the equation figured out. My other friend has an SLP SS camaro M6, the kind with the two duals side by side out the middle of the car. It's rated at 345hp and is a blast to drive. Thing is, the best recorded quarter times in that model were routinely (always ,really) put downin the automatic. The same was true in all the camaros starting in '93, the autobox being almost paint on paint with the six speed. Why can't ford do likewise with their performance automatics? Me, I don't really care cause I'll never own an automatic but I'm curious just the same...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why can't ford...

Buy a Camaro and you'll be set to go. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Because ford is not connected with owners like us...plus most mustang owners nowadays are second and third owners, so they focus on those that buy new and most of those owners own the v6 stang, thus owners that go for looks rather than power #'s. Honestly they are doing what is profitable and a service shop full of cars with automatic transmissionproblems isnt profitable.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I thought with a CAI and tune maybe some other small mods that the autos will do just as good as a manual. I could be wrong...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I have a '93 notch thanks...but really, whatever edge the stangs lost back in '93 when the the LT1 came out, 12 years should be more than enough time to make an automatic that could beat a manual trannied car it outpowers by 25hp. Or at least not get eaten by it...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Myauto is pretty darn fast...but then again, I've never owned anything other than Nissans and Infinitis before this.

ORIGINAL: Baddog

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

I have a '93 notch thanks...but really, whatever edge the stangs lost back in '93 when the the LT1 came out, 12 years should be more than enough time to make an automatic that could beat a manual trannied car it outpowers by 25hp. Or at least not get eaten by it...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Do you have stock gears in yours bro? With your mods and with the traction control off, can you light em up without brakestanding it? The one I rented didn't have a chance...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The autos have a big lag in them stock.....been discussed many times on here. With the CAI and tune it all goes away and you can easily spin the tires. The one you rented probably would have a tough time doing a burnout.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Fjord has always seemed to lack in the auto-trans department going waaaaaaay back.. Very soft and slow shifting. It also seems that GM has always found a way to put their underated power to the wheels more efficiently than Fjord...who almost seems to overate their figures and loose quite a bit to the azz end.

Yet, I did drive 2006 GT auto and a 2007 GT auto and they BOTH performed quite well. I would have to say they'd give the T5's a run for their money all things being equal. Of course, you could always SCT2 tune the auto for firmer shifts and no throttle lag. This would improve the auto's performance even if you stayed with a stock 87 octane tune.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
mac24
1st Gear Member

I have an 06 gt automatic i can easily spin the tire from a stop,
without brake stand i can just stomp on the gas and the tires will spin.

Quick Reply: Why can't ford...