Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM
pxdig
2nd Gear Member

Default here we go again

Sorry if you feel this has been beat to death !!

I first started looking into this forum when my 97 mustang blew a head gasket and I decided to get a newer one. LOVING the 05-07 body style, it was a simple choice to stick with the brand. I found several threads that stated the automatics were just about as quick as the manuals (not as fun), so for the first time I actually considered an Auto, but still preferring a standard.

Well, I was in a rush since I did not have a car, and I found a GREAT 05 fully loaded GT with every option imaginable. Including an automatic transmission. After having it for 4 months, I agree it is not as much fun as a standard, but I found comfort in the fact that the performace was almost as good as a stick.

Lately, I have read several threads and posts that state the stick tranny is much quicker and faster than the auto. Now, I get get a small burn out with the traction control on, or a decent one (not good or great) with the traction controll off. I realize that the stick can manipulate the burn outs better but are they really faster down the road ?

if so, if I put in a CAI and a tune will that put me in the same performance level as the standard trannies ?

I am really getting bummed, and I'm starting to see the car I LOVED as being less than.

Thanks for all responses,

Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: here we go again

CAI and tune from B ama or Brenspeed will be you best friend....it will also fix that damn lag you probably experience.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

The one thing I have come to realize over the years is no matter how fast your car isthere is almost always going to be a faster one out there.

If you feel the car isn't at the performance level you would like then do the modificaitions you think will getyou there.

I have a Manual but I haven't driven the Auto so I can't compare. I do have just a CAI as a Mod. Just that small Mod does make the car more lively and sound throatier.

The CAI I have is an Airaid. It doesn't require a tune so that my warranty isn't in question. I've have been told by Fordmachanics, dispite what I've read on here, that a Tune added to the car can be an issue regarding that. They may not void it but they will be less than willing to do warranty work if they can get out of it.

Some time down the road I plan to geta Supercharger but don't want to get too radical, 380-400rwhp is more than enough for me. This is all after my warranty is up, besides I need to save up for it and by the time I have the money the warranty will be over.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

I know what you mean.

My first Mustang was an '01 GT Auto and when I first drove it (coming from an Grand AM), it felt pretty agressive and I respected it, for a while. Got realy comfortable with the power and handling quickly and my first thoughts of modding were power and shift quickness/firmness.

I did the regular bolt-on's plus a shift kit and that helped the car pretty much but, always in the back of my mind, I was wishing that I had bought a stick instead. I wasn't "down" on the car; just regretted that I didn't get a stick.

With the '07 I shopped exclusively for a stick. I didn't care what the dealers had on the lot if they were autos. I'm glad I got the stick largely for the idea that I can hold each gear as long as I want and I feel like I'm having more of a "driving experience."

However, with the '05+ autos, it's my understanding that these cars are doing pretty good as far as getting power to the ground through the auto. Plus, autos wont miss third and can definately shift gears much faster than someone can with a stick. Plus you can go the torque converter route. Plus you can drink a cup of coffee while driving in rush hour. Plus all is not lost if you cannot get as good a burnout with an auto (for whatever reason if you can't get the tires smokin').

Hope this helps.

Take care.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

To make the autos perform better...you'll see a big difference with gears. Autos come with 3.31s while manuals get the 3.55s. Upgrade to 3.73s or 4.10s and get a torque converter (around 3000 stall). With those 2 things...you'll notice a big difference. Before all that though, do a CAI and tune. B amachips is supposed to have the best tunes for autos. I bought my C&L CAI and SCT XCal2 tuner from Brenspeed with 87 and 93 octane tunes. I then ordered a 93 octane race tune from B amachips. I will see how big of a difference there is between the 2 93-octane tunes.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Don't be concerned with burning out. I'd rather have a car that knows how to stick to the pavement and accelerate like a bat out of hell, then something that's going to sit there and smoke rubber. (Unless you're doing it on purpose.)
Old 03-15-2007, 11:49 PM
07rymasmGT

first of all, your signature is freaking hilarious! Secondly, you never should have bought an automatic muscle car. sorry if i can't make you feel better, but good luck with whatever you do. Hopefully you'll find something that will make you love it again.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I dont see any reason that buying the auto was wrong at all.....many people love there autos and they are really just as fast as a manual.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 AM
07rymasmGT

yeah, you're right. it's just the fun factor i guess for me that's great about the manual
Old 03-16-2007, 12:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree I wouldnt take anything but a manual either