Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?

I have had my hurst short throw for about a month now, and I can't imagine going back to the stock shifter. it's awesome!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
jonpo
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know what install would run on one of these?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

The Hurst is a POS compaired to the Steeda. The hurst is mad out of the same cheap hollow steel that the stock shifter came with. I had both, and the Hurst is a big waste of money, if you like the feel of the hurst just buy a Saleen shifter adapter and it's the same thing as the husrt for 40 bucks. I now have the Steeda and I wouldn't use any thing else. Plus the Steeda shifter was the first shifter out on the market for the 05 and up stangs, all the kinks are worked out. I believe Hurst isn't make the comp plus shifter anymore due to a revised newer model to replace the pile of junk it was before. You do get what you pay for The Steeda shifter is also fully adjustable and the Hurst isn't.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Hurst...the classic
Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

A picture is worth 1,000 words they say.

The design is identical, the hurst just comes with better bushings and a shorter throw. Originally I figured the Hurst would do the job perfectly for me. It looks amazing, sits a little higher then stock, and has a shorter throw. Somewhere along the line luck intervened and Hurst decided to go back to the drawing board and redesign. Thus no more shifters for sale. I was left with the Tri-ax, and after comparing the Tri-ax to the Stock shifter the quality is very apparant.

Steeda no longer offers the front bushing with the Tri-ax, something about too much noise or vibration complained via customers. So they recommend using the old bushing, and so far so good. No noises.(Only day 2 though.)

With that being said the installation isn't all that difficult. It just requires some patience. There isn't that much to do to get it in and out. A total of 4 bolts (including the bolt to the shifter linkage) Personally I like doing things on my own. I like working on my car, and that way if something happens it was my fault. I also don't like spending mod-money to pay someone else, but if you aren't capable or have the money to spend... then pay someone all you want.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
millertyme4lyfe
1st Gear Member

I've had my Hurst for about a month and love it. The throws are great... even though it is higher than stock, it is comfortable... install took me about an hour with jackstands by myself.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

The design is identical, the hurst just comes with better bushings and a shorter throw. Originally I figured the Hurst would do the job perfectly for me. It looks amazing, sits a little higher then stock, and has a shorter throw. Somewhere along the line luck intervened and Hurst decided to go back to the drawing board and redesign. Thus no more shifters for sale. I was left with the Tri-ax, and after comparing the Tri-ax to the Stock shifter the quality is very apparant.

Steeda no longer offers the front bushing with the Tri-ax, something about too much noise or vibration complained via customers. So they recommend using the old bushing, and so far so good. No noises.(Only day 2 though.)

With that being said the installation isn't all that difficult. It just requires some patience. There isn't that much to do to get it in and out. A total of 4 bolts (including the bolt to the shifter linkage) Personally I like doing things on my own. I like working on my car, and that way if something happens it was my fault. I also don't like spending mod-money to pay someone else, but if you aren't capable or have the money to spend... then pay someone all you want.
+1
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Ricky

ORIGINAL: Menace

+1
+1. The Tri-Ax is a machined billet aluminumunit that puts the Hurst stamped steel designto shame.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

http://www.autobadges.com/performance/ They have the tri-ax for 249.95

Andrew
Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I've had both too.... the Hurst felt like I was moving through a box of gravel. The Steeda is smooth, short, and very positive going in gears. I have yet to miss a shift with it.

Quick Reply: Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?