Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
THE TRUTH

Default RE: Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?

I am currently working on an 06 project build up and I have done a good amount of research with speedshops and builders to see what shifter they would use. So far everyone has said the same thing, the Hurst is a better shifter but customers fall into the billet trap and want the machined part instead. I am going with the Hurst, I can't find any reason not to. Plus like I said, the guys that are building these cars everyday use the Hurst when they have a choice.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

i just ordered one of these. we will see. a little more pricey but i have heard nothing but good things about them.earch on this forum with taco bill.

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_2005-present.shtml
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
newagemuscle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THE TRUTH

I am currently working on an 06 project build up and I have done a good amount of research with speedshops and builders to see what shifter they would use. So far everyone has said the same thing, the Hurst is a better shifter but customers fall into the billet trap and want the machined part instead. I am going with the Hurst, I can't find any reason not to. Plus like I said, the guys that are building these cars everyday use the Hurst when they have a choice.
I agree. I fell into th same thing with that peace of crap Pro 5.0. I just pulled it from the car and had the Hurst put in. Much much better feel. I was recommended to do it from the start by Lideo at Alternative Auto, but my eye liked the look of the Pro 5.0. Big mistake. I don't know if I just got a bad shifter, but I could not even get it into 5th or reverse. The sent me out shims to fix it and it stll sucked.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

So pro 5.0 isn't good? Cause I was thinking of getting that one. But I do like how the Hurst comes with the white ball.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I got my Hurst Shifter about two years ago, and no complaints at all.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 AM
mfk1988
1st Gear Member

Picked up a steeda about a month ago now. Great shifter for combination daily driving/racing. Thing about the hurst is... Its not real fun to have when your sitting in gridlock traffic with music on, I have a friend with one in his 05' and he is trying to sell it on ebay for a steeda after trying out mine... Go with the steeda!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newagemuscle

I agree. I fell into th same thing with that peace of crap Pro 5.0. I just pulled it from the car and had the Hurst put in. Much much better feel. I was recommended to do it from the start by Lideo at Alternative Auto, but my eye liked the look of the Pro 5.0. Big mistake. I don't know if I just got a bad shifter, but I could not even get it into 5th or reverse. The sent me out shims to fix it and it stll sucked.
Ummmm.... what the heck is a "Billet Trap". I guess the idea of using superior metal parts is some kind of "trap". Gee, thoseCustom Wheeldesigners need to stay away from the "aluminum trap" and go for good old American Stamped Steel!

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax made of Billet aluminum, and if I've fallen into some kind of "trap", it is at least made of quality material and parts.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I am very happy with the Hurst. The shift distance is much shorter and it "clicks" into gear. From 2nd to 3rd, the stick is on autopilot, almost impossible to miss. I like the white ****.

I had mine installed by DEZ Racing in Seekonk, MA. That and the 3 point strut tower brace. They billed me 2 hours to install both.

Hurst 3910201, Amazon.com $199.00 No ship, No sales Tax
Gasket: http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/
Old 07-19-2007, 06:06 PM
newagemuscle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Virgule

ORIGINAL: newagemuscle

Ummmm.... what the heck is a "Billet Trap". I guess the idea of using superior metal parts is some kind of "trap". Gee, thoseCustom Wheeldesigners need to stay away from the "aluminum trap" and go for good old American Stamped Steel!

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax made of Billet aluminum, and if I've fallen into some kind of "trap", it is at least made of quality material and parts.
Superior metal parts or not, the Pro 5.0I got shifted like crap compared to the Hurst andcost me$100 bucks more.Who gives a care what the quality material is or what color the anodized aluminum is unless you’re driving around with your centerconsole off. I have no doubt that the Steeda is not a good shifter. I have heard nothing but good about it, but at the same time I heard good things about the pro 5.0 and the results I got were terrible.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfk1988

Picked up a steeda about a month ago now. Great shifter for combination daily driving/racing. Thing about the hurst is... Its not real fun to have when your sitting in gridlock traffic with music on, I have a friend with one in his 05' and he is trying to sell it on ebay for a steeda after trying out mine... Go with the steeda!!!
What would be the reason for this, is it loud? Not seeing what the shifter and the music have to do with each other. Driving stick in rush hour traffic is never fun no matter what shifter you have.

Quick Reply: Diff between Hurst and Steeda Tri-ax?