Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Striping

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Jarhead72

Default RE: Vinyl Striping

One other thing, its just like painting a wall in your house. If you want it to turn out well you have to spend time on prep work. Make sure you have the center marked well, its easy to miss the mark so if you have to move the tape several times,don't worry. Just make sure you have the middle. The more difficult part is without a doubt the bumpers, so I would leave those until last until you have some pratice. I always started on the hood, its a good place to start and fairly easy to do. Also I would stripe the whole car with the 10" stripes and then go back and do your pinstriping. Can't think of anymore tips I can give you, just follow the directions. Good luck and can't wait to see some pics.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

I got mine from Graphics Express who by the way have a nice set of instructions,
http://www.graphic-express.com/x-0in..._directory.asp
I installed it myself following the instructions to the letter, it took me about 4 hours. It is not that difficult but you must take time specially in the preparation and maskingprocess, and you must follow the installation order, at least for this particular kit.As some other fellows said before you must remove all wax, I used rubbing alcohol, the process is similar to applying tinted window film.
My job was not perfect but only me can tell, Teh stripes are not as shinny as the paint finish and thatleft me a little disappointed, but it looks very good, as soon as I find a decent shot, I'll have them removed and painted.
Good luck with your kit, if you need the complete instructions I havefor the GT kit, I can scan it and email it to you
Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

I had trouble at first as well, many guys wouldn't touch it because the top layer (I guess they come with double tape on them) was not on mine, but I found this older gentleman charged me 150 beans to put em on, he did it in a day and it looks pretty good............he too commented about the missing tape on top of the vinyl. But I suppose that's because they need to be cut, but anyway it turned out well and I like it, BSM sent me a good product and I'm liking it!!

I got the 12" Kit
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

I put stripes on my hood and the sides of the car. I also put on the rear blackout panel, and mine is the same stuff as the stripes. It all was pretty easy following Baltimore Street Mods directions. Just make sure you get everything clean, including underneath where the ends of the stripes will wrap. And be careful to follow all of the instructions BSM sends. They're well written. Here's pictures of my car. I think they came out great. What do you think?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

I have to say that I am not a big fan of the Grabber Orange, but adding those black stripes to it adds a lot IMO. Looks nice
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
MikeFromMass

I think you did a great job, just the right balance between the side stripes, hood, dark tint, black louvers and rear panel.

Great choices and a fine looking ride!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

I got mine from Graphics Express who by the way have a nice set of instructions,
http://www.graphic-express.com/x-0in..._directory.asp
I installed it myself following the instructions to the letter, it took me about 4 hours. It is not that difficult but you must take time specially in the preparation and maskingprocess, and you must follow the installation order, at least for this particular kit.As some other fellows said before you must remove all wax, I used rubbing alcohol, the process is similar to applying tinted window film.
My job was not perfect but only me can tell, Teh stripes are not as shinny as the paint finish and thatleft me a little disappointed, but it looks very good, as soon as I find a decent shot, I'll have them removed and painted.
Good luck with your kit, if you need the complete instructions I havefor the GT kit, I can scan it and email it to you
That's a great website, i just about read all their instructions it looks tedious but not hard, and to be honest with you i'm really excited about doing this. I was very hesitant at first but now I can't wait for sunday

Thanks for the link

-DG
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Daniel06GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

I put stripes on my hood and the sides of the car. I also put on the rear blackout panel, and mine is the same stuff as the stripes. It all was pretty easy following Baltimore Street Mods directions. Just make sure you get everything clean, including underneath where the ends of the stripes will wrap. And be careful to follow all of the instructions BSM sends. They're well written. Here's pictures of my car. I think they came out great. What do you think?

I'll make sure to read the instructions by BSM thoroughly and prepare my car for the installation. BTW your cars looks awesome!

-DG
Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys. And good luck, Daniel06GT. BTW, use lots of the water solution they tell you to use. Keep things nice and wet. Put each piece on and slide it around until you get it straight. Stand back and look at it at different angles. Then when it looks good, squegee it. That sticks it down and you can't move it after that. You'll probably be left with some small bubbles. But not to worry. Most of them will disappear after your car is in the sun for a couple of days. The ones that are left after that can be taken care of by making a small pin hole with a sewing needle and squegeeing them down.

Anyway, have fun. Your car's going to look great!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Almost forgot. Post some pictures when you're done!

Quick Reply: Vinyl Striping