Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Vibration Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

Default Harmonic Vibration Revisited

When I first purchased my GT two months ago, I noticed a "harmonic" flutter or vibration at 72mph in the cabin. It would begin gradual at 70, be worst at 72, and almost gone at 75. I have had it at two different dealerships, driveshaft replaced, output flange replaced, rearend checked, exhaust hangers, etc, wheel balancing, drivetrain checked. Neither dealership has been able to find anything wrong. In fact, bith stated that though they seemed to notice it somewhat, it's not out of the ordinary. Both dealerships kept the car for days on end trying to find it, so I don't think they were thrying to blow me off. I had test driven other new stangs with them, and while both has a very little of the same feeling, none as pronounced as mine. The second dealership found the new driveshaft the 1st installed indexed wrong and fixed it. Help a very tiny bit, not much.

It's nothing you feel in the steering or pedals, rather a vibration you feel within the cabin itself. Am I being too nitpicky? Should I expect a "muscle car" to have a perfectly smooth ride going down the highway? Maybe exhaust/motor feeling? At any other speed, it seems pretty smooth. I have already replaced the tires with new Michelins, but that didn't make a big difference.

I guess I'm starting to wonder if it's just me and I should expect the smooth ride I had in my GMC Z71 I had before this.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Harmonic Vibration Revisited

Probably just you.....its not a BMW or Mercedes where I might expect everything to be silent. Mine has its own groans and creaks when its cold or whatever but many things are made of plastic so that is going to happen from time to time. It doesnt bother me at all. With the radio or windows down nothing is better.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm comparing it to the GMC and Toyota trucks I had before with their smooth ride on the highway, and some of the rental cars of lesser value they gave me while mine was in the shop. It's not so much a noise (though I have the creaks), but a vibration you feel within the cabin and sometimes in the bck of the seat. It does it spot on everytime at the same exact speed. It's wierd. Maybe I should just go ahead and get the FRPP Stingers and it will drone it out!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

haha...that would totally be worth it!!