Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

Default Wheel spacer?

Hi everyone I'm new,
Has anyone used wheel spacers before. I have the upgraded GT 18" polished 5 spoke rims, but I want them to come out a bit more. Any advice?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel spacer?

This is not a commentary on whether or not you should use them, this is just what I know about spacers.

Using wheel[/b] spacers[/b] will put some bending stresses on your wheel[/b] studs, and they're not designed for bending stresses, just for axial (stretching) forces. Go too far with thick spacers[/b], and you risk breaking wheel[/b] studs, probably at the worst possible time such as during a burnout or hard cornering. The rule of thumb I've read is, don't ever use a spacer thicker than a quarter of an inch. Even with that thin a spacer, make sure the studs are long enough to adequately engage the lug nuts.

Depending on how long the central hub on our cars' rear axle/front brake rotors are, even a quarter inch thick spacer might move the wheels out far enough to no longer be hubcentric - they may no longer be positioned by the center hub, but rather by the lug nuts only. This might cause you some suspension problems and, depending on the spacer thickness, unusual wear on the tires. You did not mention what wheels you have but many aftermarket wheels are lugcentric (lug nuts center the wheel[/b]) but I know of no OEM wheels that are - for good[/b] reason. Hubcentric is a better design.

Personally, I would not use wheel spacers on my stallion.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I am in the process of trying some 1" spacers to clear the gt500 brakes.

Essentially, everything above is correct. However, there are high quality german spacers made by Eibach and H&R which are perfectly safe and actually german TUV approved. They have been used on track cars, etc with no problems. they are hubcentric and bolt on. Essentially a hub extension. They place no extra bending forces on the studs.

If you are not familiar with the amount of saftey precautions, etc that go into making a product TUV approved, do a google search. Essentially even after you buya TUV approved product, you have to pay a fee to the TUV of a couple hundred dollars, show a certificate, and pass inspection.

While they are not my first choice, all I can say is that I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and I certainly would not put something on the car that I felt was improper.

With that said, I still would torque the spacers every 6K miles or so. Also note that the front studs need to be trimmed in length by about 0.300" to clear the wheel pockets. The back wheels seem to be fine after doing a clay test.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

classj - good info, Thanks.

John
Old 04-14-2007, 08:59 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I am in the process of trying some 1" spacers to clear the gt500 brakes.

Essentially, everything above is correct. However, there are high quality german spacers made by Eibach and H&R which are perfectly safe and actually german TUV approved. They have been used on track cars, etc with no problems. they are hubcentric and bolt on. Essentially a hub extension. They place no extra bending forces on the studs.

If you are not familiar with the amount of saftey precautions, etc that go into making a product TUV approved, do a google search. Essentially even after you buy a TUV approved product, you have to pay a fee to the TUV of a couple hundred dollars, show a certificate, and pass inspection.

While they are not my first choice, all I can say is that I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and I certainly would not put something on the car that I felt was improper.

With that said, I still would torque the spacers every 6K miles or so. Also note that the front studs need to be trimmed in length by about 0.300" to clear the wheel pockets. The back wheels seem to be fine after doing a clay test.
Wooooo Woooo 1", why so big of spacer, I use 15mm H&R Spacers, they even come with the longer studs but if you need 1" you may want to consider new wheels that will clear the brakes. 1" would put the wheels sticking WAY out on the car too, 15mm is about 1/2".
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

My personal rule of thumb has always been 1/2" or less and as long as the studs are long enough (or can be lengthened) and your using Hubcentric spacers, no worries. More than 1/2", switch to an all out adapter. Non-Hubcentric spacers are a strict no-no. A friend of the family has owned a wheel/speed shop for about 30 or so years, and thats the rule of thumb he tells his customers.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

Good info-I will keep it in mind. I've thought about replacing my rims and tires but I like them too much.
Thanks alot...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
MUSTNAGBLUES

I have a 06 stang and used a set of (4) 5/8" spacersfrom www.mustangwheelspacers.com They use spacers with longer studs and the spacers are hub centric(a key feature). I bought a kit that came with tools to remove and install the new studs(they worked well).At first I didn't realize that with the adapter type spacers the second set of studs are pressed into the aluminum and the adapter has to be removed evey timeyou do a brake job. The website could give some kind of sizing info. I'm happy with the 5/8" spacers but it looks like the 3/4" spacers would still fit inside the wheel wells. JAK
Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
LA_Pony

Dear all,

sorry for bringing up this old Thread, but I hope someone can help me.
I am looking for longer Studs which fit directly to the Mustang- GT 2006, for the front and back. I have seen them on the page: www.mustangwheelspacer.com just as a complete package, Studs and Spacer. Does anyone know where to buy just the longer studs?

thanks you very much in advance
Richard