Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DANGER??? brakes rubbing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:46 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default DANGER??? brakes rubbing???

i recently swapped the fanblades for the 20" saleens. I spun the front wheels once they were on and noticed that something was rubbing. if i recall correctly, it was enough to eventually stop the tire from moving. i was in a hurry [as usual] and shrugged it off. then a few days ago when i drove the car with the windows down, i noticed some noise from the brakes. not a horrible noise, but apossibleintermittent squeak was there. so i figured i'd ask y'all!

I DID NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH to put the lugs on. I had to use my socket set because the stupid holes are too narrow for the "normal" nuts and a "normal" tire iron. that said, I've NEVER used one and never had any problem in the sixteen years I've driven and ten cars i've owned. i always loosen the lugs before i raise the car and i always use the star method to put the lugs on till they are simply as tight as i can get them by hand. never excessively tight, but snug. that said. . .

I do intend to geta torque wrench in the next few days. i had previously removed the fanblades for 17 inch wheels w/snows. maybe I torqued them wrong and warped the rotors???? i've only got 5,--- miles on this car and have never driven it very hard to heat them up enough to warp them.

also, i intend in the next 6 months to go with new pads/lines/cooling ducts but was going to stick with the OEM rotors from what i've read from folks on this site and others.

any ideas/diagnosis/prognosis welcomed. i'd prefer not to recieve numerous criticisms, but we'll see.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DANGER??? brakes rubbing when swapped wheels

i also have not removed the retaining clips from the lugs. . . maybe that makes the wheel spin just enough off center to rub the pads???
Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Something is wrong, a Saleen wheel from an 05-07 mustang should swap over just fine on a stock GT. If anything you should have greater clearance due to the larger brake calipers that come on the Saleens. You MUST remover the rotor retainer clips from your studs before you install the Saleen wheels otherwise you will get a vibration, a possible rub and if left too long then possible stud breakage.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

i guess my brakes aren't as important as so and so's stripes. jeesh. i think i'll put SEX or ***** or NAKED GIRLS in the subject line next and see if that works since DANGER didn't seem to do a damn thing!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: DANGER??? brakes rubbing???

First thing you should do is remove the lug retainers (washers) as already mentioned. Second thing you should do is see if it's the brake pads that are rubbing or the rim/wheels. it will be easy to check with rims/tires off the car. Just free spin the rotor to see if the problem is still there. If it is then it could be one of two things. Caliper binding (getting stuck) or brake pad shims have slipped and are rubbing on the rotor surface. The shims is no big deal, just yank them off. If you have a caliper binding you may also notice your car pulls to one side when you brake light-moderate. The side teh car pulls to is the side that is binding.

if the rub is gone when the rim/tire is removed, see which tire is doing it. It will be pretty obvious on the tire itself. You can also look in the wheel well and look for any 'polished' areas that indicate tire rub.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Derf! I'll do that this weekend and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Your problem is weird. I have put the Saleen wheels on my car with stock brakes and they did not rub. Also, mine did not have the little washers like described above (my Explorer did and removed them due to vibration). I'd sure like to know what you find out, so I can be sure it doen't happen to me the next time I put my Saleens back on.