Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't pass inspection!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Won't pass inspection!?!?

ORIGINAL: Lees07GT

ORIGINAL: 05CLASSIC

I've always tried to avoid dealships in the past.

Just wondering, do the smaller local shops hook it up to a machine like the dealerships do?
I would guess that it would depend on your particular state and local laws regarding inspections. But one problem we have in Virginia is that they scrape your current sticker before they start the inspection. So if they claim you fail for a worn wiper blade, you have to let them replace it or you fail and they mark your car for failure with a special "failed inspection" sticker which allows you ten days to get the problem fixed. But you can't just go to another inspection station and hope to breeze through because you have been "marked" and they are probably going to check you even closer than usual. In my locality, it's best to find a good, honest inspection station and never go anywhere else.
They actually fail you for a worn wiper blade?

Wow. I'm glad I don't live there.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

guys guys guys...the ECU on newer cars must be run for like 50-200 miles with no reflash or it will fail due to it not being in "ready mode". it's a new thing they do to make sure someone didn't just clear off a bunch of check engine lights 5 min ago so they can pass.

SO, if he has a tune, he must run for between 50-200 miles with the same tune (no battery resets or reflashes) or it will fail the test. this puts the ecu in ready mode. every time you clear a check-engine light, or reflash, it resets this timer. this is probably what he meant by a sensor...the techs are idiots and that's what they told me when this was the problem.

so, if you reflash back to stock, you'll have to drive for between 50-200 miles to keep your ecu in ready mode. also, don't turn your car off for 30 min before the inspection. this will ensure the ecu is in ready mode and able to pass the test. some tuners though can manually "set" ready mode, so you can avoid this...but if your tuner doesn't have this ability, then you gotta suck it up and drive.

so, to recap, before inspection, drive 50-200 miles with NO battery resets, reflashes, etc. and keep your car on for at least 30 min before the test. you will pass no problem.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Here in NY they scrape your tag also, pass or fail, but I know the guy.

I'll just check with my local guy. The only reason I went to the stealership is because it was free.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

guys guys guys...the ECU on newer cars must be run for like 50-200 miles with no reflash or it will fail due to it not being in "ready mode". it's a new thing they do to make sure someone didn't just clear off a bunch of check engine lights 5 min ago so they can pass.
That is great info. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Is this an emissions inspection???? I am confused????
Old 04-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Mike, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. My tune had the rear o2 sensors turned off. I called Brent and he sent me a tune that could be used "only" for the inspection. I didn't know how to get the tune off my computer and into the SCT unit, so I flashed back to stock, and drove for the longest fifty miles of my life to reset the computer. Passed the inspection, and before I even left the inspection bay put my performance tune back in. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Hey Bluestar, did you change it back with the stock CAI on the car?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:42 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

SO, if he has a tune, he must run for between 50-200 miles with the same tune (no battery resets or reflashes) or it will fail the test. this puts the ecu in ready mode. every time you clear a check-engine light, or reflash, it resets this timer. this is probably what he meant by a sensor...the techs are idiots and that's what they told me when this was the problem.

so, if you reflash back to stock, you'll have to drive for between 50-200 miles to keep your ecu in ready mode. also, don't turn your car off for 30 min before the inspection. this will ensure the ecu is in ready mode and able to pass the test. some tuners though can manually "set" ready mode, so you can avoid this...but if your tuner doesn't have this ability, then you gotta suck it up and drive.

so, to recap, before inspection, drive 50-200 miles with NO battery resets, reflashes, etc. and keep your car on for at least 30 min before the test. you will pass no problem.
Thanks John. That's news you can use!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Yes I left the cold air kit on, but I had to reinstall the MVT tube which comes with the Airaid CAI, took like fifteen minutes to do. You wont believe the way it feels driving stock tune
Old 04-27-2007, 08:20 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

-john

2006 black/black ford mustang gt coupe 5spd
100% stock w/ shaker 1000, IUP
300hp/320tq
13.498 in the 1/4

WHOA! Sorry to change topic but....wow mine must be defective, whata dealer did you get your stang from?!

Quick Reply: Won't pass inspection!?!?