Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CAI Ideal !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New CAI Ideal !!

It should work, because the energy expended is only to cool and densify the air charge -- the compressor only has to cool the air down, the actual increase in energy/power will come from the extra fuel that can be burned.

Since the energy required to compress the R-134 should be a constant, and you could run richer with the denser, colder air, thus putting more energy into the combustion... might be good for a 1/4 run? I imagine long-term them pesky thermodynamics would even things out.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

The theory isn't bad, but it won't work. First, let's assume you are going to run the A/C anyhow. That means the draw on the engine is going to be there regardless so we're using the same HP. How are you going to duct the cool air to the air box? If it goes through the engine compartment, it'll pick up engine heat. If you run it over the hood, it'll pick up outside heat. Either way, by the time it gets to the intake, it's about the same temp as what you had before, maybe hotter. If you want it cooler, try ram air or ice bags.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: Fletch

Nice try! But, it would never work.

Why? A little thing called "conservation of energy".

~Fletch~
It's a good idea, but like Fletch here basically says, from a thermodynamics standpoint it would be a perpetual motion machine. This of course violates the First AND second laws of thermodynamics.

but you're right, it would be IDEAL
Old 05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

Looks as if a few of you are keento the ideal.

All I know is my beast runs way better with air temps below 70. I think it is possible to get the air to the intake and it would still be much cooler thanthe outside air and of course running ram air is currently the only practical way to get cooler air under our hoods.

I guess the only true way to know would be to try some set up involving a dyno and some a/c'd air, both of which I do not have time or access too.

All great innovations start with a theory !!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Want a real cold air intake? Cheap too!

Move to Alaska! (or anywhere in the North)We never turned the A/C on. (ok once to see if it works) When it get's hot we just drop the top. 75 degrees is a very nice 'hot' summer day!fyi Our JDM stage 2 car ran so strong @ zero degrees (F) last winter,I called JDM and was told their tunes are only safe down to 32 degrees!!! We NOW park the S/C car in the winter!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just throw some ice packs in the CAI shield.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

+1, that works, just dont block the air.

u can build an air duct or get ram air. i've always wondered about the ram air tho, i mean the setup sits on top of the engine. even if it is spaced from the engine, and built with certain materials how can the heat off the engine not make the air coming thru the ram hotter?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You should run your A/C once a month to keep the seals from drying out. Atleast that's what i've read. I hate running my A/C and I live in Florida. While it doesn't pull a lot of power, it pulls enough to be noticable.

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

Want a real cold air intake? Cheap too!

Move to Alaska! (or anywhere in the North)We never turned the A/C on. (ok once to see if it works) When it get's hot we just drop the top. 75 degrees is a very nice 'hot' summer day!fyi Our JDM stage 2 car ran so strong @ zero degrees (F) last winter,I called JDM and was told their tunes are only safe down to 32 degrees!!! We NOW park the S/C car in the winter!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

Here are some links to interesting reading. Ford almost used the super cooling idea on the last gen Lightning that never was.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...ghlight=intake

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php...c&t=558227

http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=494798
Old 05-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

Yeah that's what I say. Make some kind of device where it would cool but not get the intake wet. This would lease work for the drag strip.

Quick Reply: New CAI Ideal !!