Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: oil change???

I use Mobil1. My oil change pattern is a combination of what people have written thus far. I plan to change the filter every 3K, adding a quart, or so, to get it back to the proper level. And thenchange the oil every other time I change the filter. According to the various write-ups, Icould probably wait to change the oil until 9K sincea quart gets replaced every 3K...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GTowner

I think the whole 3000 mile change started from the people doing the servicing and selling the oil. Used to be the standard was 5000, now we have better oil and most places have been recommending 3000 mile services. Well I'm glad to see a few starting to go back to 5000 miles. For me, its always been 5000 if I do it myself or take it in, other than the first 1000 mile change.
I'll say one thing: I know that on my old 4 cyl Saturn, I could feel a difference in the way the car ran. If it was about 3000 mi. and running semi-poorly, I knew it needed an oil change. My Mustang, however, didn't feel like that at 3000 mi, but it definitely felt like it perked up after I took it in this past weekend.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:07 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: topless05GT

I use Mobil1. My oil change pattern is a combination of what people have written thus far. I plan to change the filter every 3K, adding a quart, or so, to get it back to the proper level. And thenchange the oil every other time I change the filter. According to the various write-ups, Icould probably wait to change the oil until 9K sincea quart gets replaced every 3K...

I sure wouldn't do that without an oil analysis to back it up.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Cant say I would either....hell if I have the car up I might as well do the whole change. You are just putting used oil right back through the new filter??
Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

If oil is dark brown and dirty that means it is saturated with trash, which means there is no more space inside the oil to suspend trash, which means trash will float freely and gather in nooks, crannies, and corners, and your engine will then be the perfect example of all of these commercials that talk about engine sludge.

Have fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Ask a question about oil, and you'll get 100 different answers.
About 5 years ago, my neighbor/friend told me about LUBRICATION ENGINEERS, it's "pricey", but EXCELLANT.

I change my oil every 18,000 miles on my EXPLORER and F-150 with NO PROBLEMS, overthe past 5 years. They reccommend 25,000 miles, and that makes me nervous as hell, 18,000 is scary enough. BUT, I've never had a problem..... 178,000 on the EXPLORER, and she's PERFECT, and 133,000on the F-150, and we are goin' STRONG !!!!!!

The "BIG OIL COMPANIES" want you to throw away good oil, because it's good for them. JUST think about that,..... now, MOBIL is advertising a 15K oil [sm=wtf.gif]

I converted myMUSTANG, @2500 mi, andI'll make it 18,000 mi between changes. They don't have a 5W20, but 5W30 works just as well. (CAFE standards dictated the 5W20 for MPG)

I've used it in my boatmotor, lawn tractor, lawn mower, weedwacker,.... etc.

Check 'em out www.le-inc.com, they have gear oil, tranny fluids, chassis grease 3752,and just about anything you want to "lube" and protect anything you have,........that ROLLS, needs to go fast, or if..youJust wanna take care of your "BABY"[sm=ts.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]
I wish I worked for them, I'd like to make some $$$, but, as far as I can see, and what I've heard, THEY are the absolute BEST. IMHO
Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM
rjb
1st Gear Member

The best thing to do is have an oil analysis done. They can tell you if you are changing it too soon or late. It will also list any high wear items or contaminants found. I use blackstone labs. Typically I will send a sample from every other oil change.

Bob

[IMG]local://upfiles/68856/4A5498F41F8B4A86BC648CD6526AD8DE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

WOW !!!! Great idea, use a LAB to check on a V6, cast iron block. BUT,[sm=badidea.gif][sm=forgetit.gif]
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

WOW !!!! Great idea, use a LAB to check on a V6, cast iron block. BUT,[sm=badidea.gif][sm=forgetit.gif]

Yes, it is a good idea like I said before. It can tell you if the viscosity has chaged, how much trash or things like moly are in it, how much trash is in it if your air filter isn't up to specs.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jokeurmnd

ok so i'm just about do for an oil change as fars as time (about 4months)but the thing is that as far as miles go i still got a good 3500 to go. I've had a few of my friends with imports saying that there is no need to change your oil till you hit the mileage.Is that true can i/should i just wait till i get those extra 3500 or does the timing really matter???
Tell ya what. Go to this website http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/and educate yourself about oil and oil filters. There are more true experts to be found in their forums than most anywhere else. You can then decide based on the oil you use and how your car is driven what is best for you and avoid some of the ol' wives tales that get told here time and time again.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: oil change???