Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

Default oil change???

ok so i'm just about do for an oil change as fars as time (about 4months)but the thing is that as far as miles go i still got a good 3500 to go. I've had a few of my friends with imports saying that there is no need to change your oil till you hit the mileage.Is that true can i/should i just wait till i get those extra 3500 or does the timing really matter???
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: oil change???

you should always change your OIL on a new car after 1000 miles ....then every 3000 minimum..

good cheap insurance..
Old 05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

so i guess i better get started on that oil change,but now does it matter how many months you go in between oil changes???
Old 05-21-2007, 05:46 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Change it already!! I changed mine at 500 and then 1000 and then 3000. Next one is at 6000.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

I'm sure that I will be corrected on this one, but here goes.

I would strongly agree with the early oil change (1000 miles) is a great idea. But after that, I'm confused why we are changing the oil so frequently. With our cars going to synthetic oil, doesn't this oil last longer before changing it? I had heard that it needed to be changed every 5000 - 7500 miles. I would agree that there are variables that could shorten this # (ie: weather temperature, driving conditions, driving habits, daily driver vs. weekend driver, racing, etc...). I'm sure others will chime in here, but for example, I use Mobil one, and I know my neighbor who is a sales rep for mobil, only suggest longer intervals between oil changes for synthetic blends.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It's not the oil that is the limiting factor... it's the filter. The oil will out last the filter by thousands of miles... but if the filter is dirty or stops doing it's job, the engine can get into trouble.

ORIGINAL: brandon97

I'm sure that I will be corrected on this one, but here goes.

I would strongly agree with the early oil change (1000 miles) is a great idea. But after that, I'm confused why we are changing the oil so frequently. With our cars going to synthetic oil, doesn't this oil last longer before changing it? I had heard that it needed to be changed every 5000 - 7500 miles. I would agree that there are variables that could shorten this # (ie: weather temperature, driving conditions, driving habits, daily driver vs. weekend driver, racing, etc...). I'm sure others will chime in here, but for example, I use Mobil one, and I know my neighbor who is a sales rep for mobil, only suggest longer intervals between oil changes for synthetic blends.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 PM
skillful
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jokeurmnd

ok so i'm just about do for an oil change as fars as time (about 4months)but the thing is that as far as miles go i still got a good 3500 to go. I've had a few of my friends with imports saying that there is no need to change your oil till you hit the mileage.Is that true can i/should i just wait till i get those extra 3500 or does the timing really matter???
Are you driving a import??????
You lost me from the get go... so your due for an oil change because its been about 4 months...but you still have 3500 miles left on the oil... ok here goes ... is the car brand new???? with regular oil????if so how is that possible????3500 miles left..so maybe your using synthetic oil...well then keep going for a bit...
little bit more info needed!!!!

regular oil====3 months or 3000 miles,,,sooner if you choose to
Old 05-21-2007, 06:27 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: skillful

ORIGINAL: Jokeurmnd

Are you driving a import??????
You lost me from the get go... so your due for an oil change because its been about 4 months...but you still have 3500 miles left on the oil... ok here goes ... is the car brand new???? with regular oil????if so how is that possible????3500 miles left..so maybe your using synthetic oil...well then keep going for a bit...
little bit more info needed!!!!

regular oil====3 months or 3000 miles,,,sooner if you choose to
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

basiclly i'm right about 1000 miles on my 06when i got it off the lot they told me to coming in for an oil change in june or 5000 (wecf),and my friends that drive ricers said there is no need to get my oil changed till i hit 5000 or so because its a waist of time and money. So i will prob. go ahead and change it this weekend,I'm sure its been asked but what oil filter would I be looking for??? I was thinking k&n
Old 05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the frequent oil changes - specifically for changing the filter out.
As for a good filter, I've read good things about the k&n (isn't that the one the the bolt head thingie on the end?).
I've been using the motorcraft one.

Quick Reply: oil change???