Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More panhard bar problems......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Default RE: More panhard bar problems......

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

ORIGINAL: ilmor

Can someone explain to me why the adj. panhard bar is good to have and specifically what does it do and how?
+86
When you lower the car, the axle will sometimes shift to one side of the car (rather than being centered). An adjustable panhard rod allows you to re-center the axle. Also aftermarket street panhard rods usually have polyurethane bushings, which are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tr6nut

Can someone explain to me why the adj. panhard bar is good to have and specifically what does it do and how?
+86
When you lower the car, the axle will sometimes shift to one side of the car (rather than being centered). An adjustable panhard rod allows you to re-center the axle. Also aftermarket street panhard rods usually have polyurethane bushings, which are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings.
Do you know what issues may result from the axle moving to one side? I'm imagining, for example, tire's rubbing the fenders, axle hitting the exhaust, rear tires not following the front (i.e., trying to make the car turn), etc., etc. possibly even increased drivetrain fatigue.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tr6nut

+86
Do you know what issues may result from the axle moving to one side? I'm imagining, for example, tire's rubbing the fenders, axle hitting the exhaust, rear tires not following the front (i.e., trying to make the car turn), etc., etc. possibly even increased drivetrain fatigue.
In sever instances yes it can cause rubbing and axle hitting the exhaust but most just get 1/4 to 3/8 inch shift which can cause tire wear and also not allow for as tight of turns and the correct center when cornering.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Moosestang, I have the same set- upBMR ADJ and brace.And have had no problems. I will say that Ionly put about eighty ft lbs on the adj.pan hard bolts and about 40 ft lbson the brace.I have been a mechanic for thirty years (Industrial not auto) and felt it was to much for the bolts and sleeves. I used loctite on all nuts and have had no issues with them moving or looseness