Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuner help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: tuner help..

IF you have unplugged the battery they will not be able to tell you have tuned the car.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I did for like 15 minutes. So what should I tell them? Because it's not the stock tune that's loaded on my car right now is it? I'm not sure if it's the stock tune from the previous guy, or mine. But after I unlocked it, I did loaded the tune onto the car, and I guess that should've stored MY stock tune, but when I return it to stock, it still doesn't start, so I'm confused. But the main thing is, what should i tell my dealer??
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GstangT

I did for like 15 minutes. So what should I tell them? Because it's not the stock tune that's loaded on my car right now is it? I'm not sure if it's the stock tune from the previous guy, or mine. But after I unlocked it, I did loaded the tune onto the car, and I guess that should've stored MY stock tune, but when I return it to stock, it still doesn't start, so I'm confused. But the main thing is, what should i tell my dealer??
wow i am not sure either.....

A) if you loaded your tune into the sct then tried to upload the new tune and it didnt load then your tune is in the car.
B) if you loaded your tune into the sct then uploaded the new tune and it worked but then you had problems, reflashed you SCT without putting your tune back in the car then the tune you uploaded is in the car. (this is where the problem lies, you should have returned the tune to your stock tune then flashed the device and this is why its not working)

I dont see how you could have loaded the other guys stock tunes....now the tunes you have might be for a different code but then I dont think they would load at all.
As for what to tell the dealer, just act dumb and tell them its just wont start now and that you have uplugged the battery and that didnt fix it. when they start digging into trying to fix it then they might find that you have messed the tune up somehow and then you might as well come clean causing lying at this point as going to do **** for you.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the response. Well.. here's what I was thinking of saying: I bought a used xcal 2 handheld, and was trying to read the strategy of my car, but I'm not sure what buttons I pressed (playing dumb), and I wanted to redo it so I try to reflash to stock, thinking it would go back or fix whatever I had just done, and now it doesn't start! Think they'd still void warranty for that?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 AM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

Tell them your car wouldn't start, like the battery was dead. You disconnected the battery and had it checked.Friend tried to help by checking your car with hiscode reader since it was the weekend. You brought the code reader with you.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

+1 to above....that would be the only way i would breing the SCT into the equation....otherwise they will figure out that you ****ed it up somehow if you start to go into details with the tuner.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

[sm=smiley20.gif] that'll do!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 AM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

Hope I can sleep tonight after coming up with tha big lie, good luck, play dumb, and say a prayer for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

First make sure you take it to a dealership that sells and services a lot of new Mustangs because they do a lot of warranty work.

As stated by tritonpwrd - don't say anything except the truth. And the truth is you don't know why the car won't start. Just tell them the symtoms and when it first happened (date and time NOT what you might have done with the re-flash!) DO NOT give them a hint that you even know what an OBDII port orPCM is or where it's located. Let them diagnose the problem. If they don't have a clue about where to start then the technician probably will not even look to see if the PCM had been re-programmed, only that the codes are scrambled and the PCM does not recognize the key. At some point they will re-load the factory program under warranty. They might call you to ask if you have done something to the PCM program - just say (in a calm tone) you don't know what there talking about. If you even mention that you messed with a third party tuner its almost a guarantee that they will charge you $300-$500 for the diagnostic and the re-load - that is the worst case scenario. There is always hope! And be prepared to leave your car overnight. The techs use a step-by-step process outlined in their service manual because they need to document to Ford whenever they do reimburseable warranty work.

It's really an easy fix if you want to pay the dealership. BTW make sure you leave the SCTII at home not in the trunk or anywhere else in the car.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedFire281

First make sure you take it to a dealership that sells and services a lot of new Mustangs because they do a lot of warranty work.

As stated by tritonpwrd - don't say anything except the truth. And the truth is you don't know why the car won't start. Just tell them the symtoms and when it first happened (date and time NOT what you might have done with the re-flash!) DO NOT give them a hint that you even know what an OBDII port orPCM is or where it's located. Let them diagnose the problem. If they don't have a clue about where to start then the technician probably will not even look to see if the PCM had been re-programmed, only that the codes are scrambled and the PCM does not recognize the key. At some point they will re-load the factory program under warranty. They might call you to ask if you have done something to the PCM program - just say (in a calm tone) you don't know what there talking about. If you even mention that you messed with a third party tuner its almost a guarantee that they will charge you $300-$500 for the diagnostic and the re-load - that is the worst case scenario. There is always hope! And be prepared to leave your car overnight. The techs use a step-by-step process outlined in their service manual because they need to document to Ford whenever they do reimburseable warranty work.

It's really an easy fix if you want to pay the dealership. BTW make sure you leave the SCTII at home not in the trunk or anywhere else in the car.

s***, now this worries me.. $300-500 just for a diagnostic and reload?? Leave my car overnight? I thought it would've been a quick 10 minute thing for a reflash and everything. I'm already missing a day of school and gotta be back by 1pm (school's an hour and a half away), and will be getting the car towed around 830 in the morning. Now I don't know whether or not I should mention the tuner.....

Quick Reply: tuner help..