Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles before going to Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 AM
fourmikestang

Default RE: How many miles before going to Mobil 1?

Is there anything wrong w/ the valvoline brand?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:36 AM
fourmikestang

Any promblems with using valvoline oils
Old 05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

how about once you do switch to mobil 1, how long till you need to change again?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

how about once you do switch to mobil 1, how long till you need to change again?
did you even read the first page
Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Honestly, (after the first change which should be early) I always say stick to 3K. I won't deny, however; that today's oils can go to 5K-7.5K. They can...

The problem is... An important role that oil plays is to suspend dirt inside of it. In other words to hold dirt instead of let it start forming on the engine (which becomes sludge). As oil gets dirtier and dirtier it will become saturated with dirt and will start losing its ability to suspend dirt... The dirt will start sitting in the engine and forming sludge.

So yes, oils can last longer than 3K, but there is no way around dirt. Just because an oil holds its chemical properties longer does nothing for the amount of dirt getting suspended in it and saturating it. Oil may be able to lubricate for much longer than 3K, but there is no miracle product that can make the dirt disappear....

I was planning to do 5K changes in my car too... But after 3K miles you'll see the oil is dark brown, yuck, and there is no way i'm going to let it sit in the engine and let dirt to start collecting on the engine...Even though theoil is still lubricating fineit just doesn't matter at that point when you see the dipstick a dark gross brown.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

Mobil 1 Makes killer Filters, Also K&N and WIX
+1 on the WIX Filters. K&N Filters are good, but they're also REALLY FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE.

I was at the local Pep Boys yesterday and just happened to see them on the shelf...Cheapest K&N Oil Filter started at $13, and it was for a little Honda motorr. I couldn't justify that when I could walk over to the oil rack where the Frams, Mobil 1, etc. were and see them averaging anywhere from ~$5-$10 (depending on whether it had a check valve built in, how porous the filter was, etc).

I haven't tried the Mobil 1 filters yet, but the WIX are great filters. Used one on my '74 Vette, and one on my '67 Jaguar, and it's AMAZING what the filters pulled out versus what they replaced....

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to do my first oil change next week which will put the mileage at <1000 miles by then. I already got my Race Ramps to accommodate my lowered Stang.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

Mobil 1 Makes killer Filters, Also K&N and WIX
+1 on the WIX Filters. K&N Filters are good, but they're also REALLY FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE.

I was at the local Pep Boys yesterday and just happened to see them on the shelf...Cheapest K&N Oil Filter started at $13, and it was for a little Honda motorr. I couldn't justify that when I could walk over to the oil rack where the Frams, Mobil 1, etc. were and see them averaging anywhere from ~$5-$10 (depending on whether it had a check valve built in, how porous the filter was, etc).

I haven't tried the Mobil 1 filters yet, but the WIX are great filters. Used one on my '74 Vette, and one on my '67 Jaguar, and it's AMAZING what the filters pulled out versus what they replaced....
This is what most people do not realize..... Synthetic Oil will last 10K-15K miles your oil filter only lasts 3K-5K miles. The filter is the most important part of the system. The only Filters that I would use are Wix, K&N and Mobil 1 these filters trap smaller particals and have Check Valves which are a must to keep the crap trapped in the filter from seeping back into the engine. Change your filter every 3K and the OIL every 6K is the best cost effective method and will better protect your engine. Synthetics cost more so why throw it away so quickly, this stuff is engineered to last longer and not break down like dyno.
If you read any Synthetic Mfg instructions this is the method they recommend. Every 3k on the filter and 6K on the oil
AMSOIL and REDLINE say 10K - 12K on the change
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How many miles before going to Mobpleil 1?

I use Royal Purple 5W20 oil and 4 oz. Tufoil every 3,000 miles, which for me is once or twice a year.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How many miles before going to Mobpleil 1?

Swapped to Mobil 1 yesterday at 33,000 km (~21,000 miles). Naturally I am "expecting" a difference, so my observations may be completely biased, but it does seem that the V6 idles smoother and is a tad quieter than usual.

Quick Reply: How many miles before going to Mobil 1?