Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mannn, sometimes....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: mannn, sometimes....

If your girlfriend wants to move out of her parents house, she should go ahead and do it. If she can't afford it without you, she should stay home too.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

If your girlfriend wants to move out of her parents house, she should go ahead and do it. If she can't afford it without you, she should stay home too.

I agree with this guy, but at the same time, it sounds like you bought a car you can't afford. If you're stuck living with your parents at 21 because you can't afford to move out, then perhaps you should have bought something a bit more... used. I personally waited until my house was paid off, and I had enough money in the bank to write a check for my car. I'm 23, and I came from nothing. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
RomanPacific
1st Gear Member

Don't do it man!!! This reminds me of my Dad and what he calls the biggest mistake of his life. He too was pressured to sell his 1971 Road Runner by his gf (my mom) and buy a more sensible car. This was in the late 70's during the oil crisis when everyone was going to imports. So he sold it for a new Corrola and got all of about $500 for the car. Now all he does is read magazines and go to car shows looking at cars like his that have been restored or kept up and it kills him to know he could have been one of the lucky guys to own a car like that. He'll never be over it and everytime he sees a muscle car it bugs him. This could be you. You already have the car and I would guess that it is partially paid off. So why not work on paying it off as soon as possible then focus on a house. I mean she is your girlfriend not your wife. She could go crazy and dump you in a few months then you'd be stuck without her and that nice Stang!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You gotta understand that one of the healthiest human activites, the one that makes the complex human mind stay sane, is the activity of a hobby. A hobby can be an hour a day of video games, planting a garden, playing with your dog, anything. A hobby is something you give consitent time to and yes, spend money on. The most important thing to remember about a hobby is this... It is an escape from real life. You forget about school, relationships and jobs for the small amount of time that you're focused on your hobby.

The human mind is so complex and calculative that it can wear itself down fairly quickly. Not only does a person get tired, but they also make poor decisions and feel stressed. This can lead to physical problems and more stress. If you don't let your mind escape from real life, then the complexity of the human mind, and its ability to constantly calculate every situation it can think of, will drive you crazy, confused and to depression.

When you spend money on your car, or any other hobby, you're investing in your emotional health. Some people invest in constant computer upgrades, some people keep planting more plants, some people who are really rich just keep buying more cars all together.

People with no hobbies that focus only on real life will crack fairly quickly. Life is hard, and if you don't escape it then it will bring you down very quickly. People end up committing crimes, using drugs, hurting themselves or running away completely.

If you sell your car then you'll lose your outlet from real life. You'll be trapped in a world that consists only of school, work, and your dramatic relationship. Not only will this hurt you emotionally, but over time it will hurt your effort at work, school, and most likely lead to a breakup with the very girl that you sold the car for.

So remember, you're not just selling a car. You're selling your escape from real life. And unless you have a replacement lined up that you truly love just as much, then you need to think twice. And if its just for this girl, then understand a sold car or even an end to the hobby while keeping the car will probably lead to your breakup anyways. If you can't escape her and real life, then you'll have none of it soon enough.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Puddle356
1st Gear Member

wow, thanks for all the thoughtful replies guys. really made me think about it in a new way. we'll see what happens in a few months here, I'll do my best to keep her with me (the car that is )
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

If you can't afford the payments and are unhappy living where you are, sell it. DON'T sell it if you don't have a problem with where you are, and especially not for a girlfriend.

Having said that, you may want to take a long hard look at your finances because being "car poor" is not a good thing (same with "house poor" or "apartment poor", etc). I saved up for a while and put a chunk down on the car so my payment could be $339. Something I can live with no matter what I want to do with my living situation.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

GF or Stangs, both are expensive. and i love that quote someone said about "gf have parts mustangs dont" oh god i love that one!

with that said, there is always stuff to consider when it comes to $$$. i'm pretty cheap (other then my car), for one thing, eating out gets crazy expensive. i pack my lunch for work everyday, eat at home for breakfest, and cook dinner most nights (i'm out no the town friday-sunday). that saves a ton. also, it'd depend on how long you've been with your gf. if its been like 2+ years and you have no worries that 6 months from now either one of your could feel different, go for it, but make sure you know ahead of time that heridea of moving in together doesn't mean you get stuck paying more then your share, haha. but i dont know you or your girl, i'm just saying thereARE girls like that. i was with my last girl for 2 years and out of the blue within a month it just went to hell, it can happen quickly, last thing you want is that to happen, while your driving around a civic looking at mustang
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 PM
JumpinJackFlash
1st Gear Member

What will happen if you girlfriend dumps you and you sold the Stang... The Stang will love you forever, same cannot be said for the girl.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

sounds to me like you're setting up life to be in a FDH (Female Dominated Household).....not an easy way to live, in my opinion. Keep the CAR, and enjoy it, and don't be in a hurry to move out.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

I agree with this guy, but at the same time, it sounds like you bought a car you can't afford. If you're stuck living with your parents at 21 because you can't afford to move out, then perhaps you should have bought something a bit more... used. I personally waited until my house was paid off, and I had enough money in the bank to write a check for my car. I'm 23, and I came from nothing. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.
[&:]

Quick Reply: mannn, sometimes....