Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the spyder driveshaft come w/insturctions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
justagt06

Default does the spyder driveshaft come w/insturctions

does the spyder driveshaft come w/insturctions and all parts needed to install it?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: does the spyder driveshaft come w/insturctions

Yes. everything is included along with instructions. there is a nice write up with install pics on S197 forum.com in the DIY tech section. any questions or concerns just pm me here or email me at ron@leonardracingproducts.com
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

In case he forgot just call him and he will send or e-mail you new instructions.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah i did do that a couple times[sm=oopssign.gif] but now i have a check list and and new labels which identify which side of the box to open for the hardware and instructions. here's a copy of mine: www.leonardracingproducts.com www.SPYDERSHAFT[/i][/b].com Installation instructions 2005-up Mustang GT Remove stock driveshaft by removing the 6 bolts (these are not needed for the new shaft, discard or keep with old shaft)[/i] on the rear companion flange, remove 4 bolts (save these you will need them later)[/i] on the front companion flange and the 2 nuts (not needed anymore) [/i]holding the carrier bearing support to the chassis. Next you will need to remove the tunnel cross brace (It’s the U shaped tube above the exhaust towards the front of the car.)[/i] by loosening the 2 nuts (save these you will need them to reinstall later)[/i] that fasten it to the floor pan.The cross brace will slide out to the side between the exhaust pipe and floor tunnel with some creative twisting and turning. The driveshaft will slide out towards the back, again take your time it will come out but the carrier support needs some help to get between the exhaust. It takes very little effort for this to happen.Remove the pinion nut (keep this nut)[/i] that holds the companion flange to the pinion gear. You may need a gear puller or some device to extract the flange from the gear splines.Install new flange on splines and push as far as possible by hand. Install pinion nut with loctite and tighten to manufacturers specs. (There are many different opinions on the way this is to be done I recommend just using Fords bearing preload procedure or torque the pinion nut to 120-150 ft.lbs.)[/i]Do this quickly so not to lose too much gear oil.Place new driveshaft in the tunnel from the same direction the old one came out. Make sure the slip joint is towards the front of the car.Line up the front bolt holes and make sure the front flange is seated properly first, then install the 4 bolts and tighten to 76ft.lbs (saved from step 1).[/i] Remember this driveshaft has a slip joint so if at this point it seems too short or too long you can adjust it. Shorten the shaft a few inches when installing then extend it to mate with the front and rear flanges. Tighten all bolts to the manufacturer’s specs. ( 76ft.lbs)[/i]. Repeat this procedure for the rear companion flange bolts. (use the 4 new bolts included with kit).[/i]Reinstall the tunnel cross brace.Start car put on seat belt and go![/ol]