Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried a throttle body spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:15 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone tried a throttle body spacer?

Sounds like someone is going to have to decide this one with a couple of dyno runs.

For my part my mechanic said if I put one on he's takin it off. Upitty mechanic! LOL.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz
If you want to get into the science of it, the throttle body spacer is based on the bernouli principle. The diameter of the TBS is slightly smaller then the throat of the trottle body. As a consequence, the air volume is subjected to greater pressure reulting in the speed of the air increasing as it flows through the throttle body.
More voodoo science here. Unless radically different, the air pressure and flow rates experienced within thearea of the spacer will havenegligible effect on the air pressure and flow rates experienced in the plenum. Of course, if you shrink the airpassage down to a smaller size via a spacer or other restrictive device, you will see the air flow rate increase within thecofines of that device. But once the air exits the spacer, the flow rate will slow back down to the rate dictated bythe larger volume area of the plenum. Actually, if you are saying that the spacer has a smaller opening than the TB, then this would act to restrict flow and would cause a pressure drop across the spacer which should have an overallnegative effect on plenum air flow and pressure.

When a spacer is placed beneath a carburetor atop an intake manifold, these effects of increased flow rates and changes in pressure do, indeed, have the potential to improvefuel atomizationefficiency and can, therefore,have a positive effect on horsepower and fuel economy. However, in our cars, fuel is sprayed via injectors into the airwell downstream of the where the spacer is located. The only way I can see the spacer having any beneficial effect is if it creates some sort of air turbulence so great that it is felt downstream at the injectors, somehow affecting fuel atomization at thepoint of injection. In any event, the throttle body spacer in our cars would have to work on a completely different principle than the classic carburetor/intake spacers or the throttle body injector/intake spacers due to theradically different architecture and method used forinjecting and atomizing the fuel. IMO, I doubt that a TBspacer doesanything of substance in our cars, but if someone who is totally impartial to this discussion would like to do a thorough dyno test, Iwould be very interested to read the results, one way or the other. Maybe MM&FF should do a test, or would the results possibly offend vendors/advertisers such asSteeda?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:54 AM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

+1 for the butt dyno effect, I just put in Mobile 1 and got a 20 rwhp gain all the way home and I'll be damned if the next morning it was all gone.