Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iv'e been stung!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:06 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Default Iv'e been stung!!!

LONG POST DISCLAIMER: Uhh...long post if you dont like to read about mostly unimportant details, dont go any further.

Well it’s been a couple of months with my Mustang and mod bug bit me real good. I went from springs, to suspension, to wheels, to spoiler, but all the while I kept my eye (or should I say ear) on the stock exhaust. I knew in my heart the stock mufflers had to go and if I had any doubts my girlfriend’s first words about the Mustang were….”Looks great BUT its too quiet, doesn’t sound like a muscle car”. So yes I love her, and she was right. However early on I was fixated on the “show” mods as I had a very specific look in mind inspired by many of the black on black Mustangs on this very site. But because of the money I had already spent, the exhaust was going to have to wait untill next year. I didn’t see the point of installing a nice shiny new set of mufflers in the fall or winter. Even so I began to browse the forums, looking for information on the different offerings out there. So many to choose from…Borla, Flowmaster, Bassani, Corsa, Mac, SLP, etc, etc, etc. Finally many threads and sound clips later I decided the Borla/Ford Racing stingers were the axle backs for me. Then I discovered the topic of drone….from all the reading this drone thing sounded horrible. So at that point my search hit a big snag and I starting considering the nice but costly Corsas or the mild mannered Ford/Supreme GTAs. And while the Corsas and GTAs sound fine they didn’t make me grin like the Stingers did the first time I heard the clip. So then I read about using resonators to eliminate drone and thought “yeah that’ll work”. I understood it would quiet the exhaust alittle but the tone would be there. So after a lot of back and forth I settled that when I was ready to buy the exhaust I would go with the Stingers.

Well a couple of weeks ago I came across a killer deal on the forums, a pair of lightly used Ford Racing Axle back mufflers, more specifically the infamous Stingers. The Mod bug sunk its teeth into me and when I woke up from the stupor my paypal account was a few hundred dollars short and my Stingers were in the mail! So I waited and chose my resonators online…not ordering yet because I wanted to hear them first. The Stingers arrived and I called my pops to plan out an old fashioned father/son wrenching session. I mean I had to…this was the man that owned the 69 Corba Jet that became legend to me as a child. So today with my trusty TacoBill instructions in hand, me and the old man went for it. The whole thing took a little over an hour and he hurriedly instructed me to turn her over, even before we took it off the ramps. The moment of truth arrived and my car sang like the muscle car I had always wanted. We were blown away and the obligatory test drive to follow would tell me weather this drone thing would ruin an otherwise perfect upgrade. Two words….IT DIDN’T! The drone was part of the sound that made it roar! I couldn’t believe it…even at a cruise this drone business was this couple second hum that went away just as quickly as it came. I am thrilled with it all and have come to the conclusion that I don’t need resonators. The drone doesn’t bother me in the least…my father felt the same way.

I wrote this because I know many of you have gone or are going through the same thing. I learned a lesson today…if you’re looking to buy an exhaust for your S197 and are worried about drone, do yourself a favor and go to a meet and listen for yourself. While I totally understand some people are adversely affected by drone I feel it is an over hyped phenomenon. I love my stingers.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Iv'e been stung!!!

Im glad you found a perfect fit for your car , ive read so many exhaust threads i get tired of it and i get confused. Everybody hears something different so its your sound preference. And the thing of it is you gotta hear it in person i can listen to so many different "clips" and they all sound the same to me honestly the sound clips do nothing justice. Drone is also different to everybody my car droned more before i had my headers put on but it was really nothing that bothered me at all i kind of like it. But some say once you hear real drone you know it. Maybe ive never heard real drone.

Glad to hear your satisfied ,
Old 06-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

I love my stingers...........I dont get why people say the drone is unbearable.....I dont even hear drone. Maybe my LT headers cut it out or something i dunno.....but stingers kick a$$
Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

I didn't read very far, what was it you asked?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Stang_Heritage07
2nd Gear Member

He didn't ask anything...just commenting on how much he loves his new Stingers on his car
and the fact listening in person to exhaust setups is much better than via the internet
Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

Yeah what he said. Sorry for the length, but I was so happy with the results I felt the need to write a little essay about it.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

You didn't read because you are a smart a$$ know it all.