Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple using water

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:48 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple using water

If it comes back with unfortunate results andthe intercooler core that is in fact leaking - I wouldn't recommend driving it back to Detroit. I would agree with Hammeron's recommendation..... and if I were you, I would just have it towed on a flatbed to where ever it is youhave toget it fixed. Limit your driving until you determine the problem. Wish you the best man..... Keep us posted!!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

If it is truly leaking then I'll simply drain the system and pull the water pump fuse, then Ican then drive it anywhere without fear of any further water ingestion. The water system exists to help drop the intake temps, it's not the end of the world if it isn't.
I'll be sure not to stomp on it of course, no point in getting the temps up too much and causing theECU to back out the spark.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

I still wouldn't do it.... its your car though - just be careful. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Spoke to Lidio who is mortified that something like this could happen. He related the story of the Ford Lightning F150's which often did the same thing after 10/15,000 miles or so. They'd weep slowly into the intake area and when the owner stamped on it, the motor would hitch, fart and throw half a pint of water out the back. I've had the odd fart and white puff out the back in low gears, I assumed it was the rev limiter kicking in briefly, but it's almost definately water. I checked again tonight and I'm down a little more, so tomorrow I'm dropping the whole lot out and am running it dry.

I asked Lidio if it was ok to do that and he said Yea, no problemo. For normal driving it'll be perfectly fine to drive it. We have to arrange a time for me to get to him when he'll test and probably swap out the intercooler.

I'm trying to remain cool about it butit's going to cost me in expenses and at least one full day, perhaps two (and a hotel room), to get it fixed[&:]
Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope Lidio is coordinating this with whipple.....i believe
the whole supercharger (minus the intake manifold) has
to be sent to whipple for refurbing.......

if whipple is giving you an advanced warranty replacement, then
that's awesome....

said another way......this leak is not something that can be fixed, outside
of fresno, ca.

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Spoke to Lidio who is mortified that something like this could happen. He related the story of the Ford Lightning F150's which often did the same thing after 10/15,000 miles or so. They'd weep slowly into the intake area and when the owner stamped on it, the motor would hitch, fart and throw half a pint of water out the back. I've had the odd fart and white puff out the back in low gears, I assumed it was the rev limiter kicking in briefly, but it's almost definately water. I checked again tonight and I'm down a little more, so tomorrow I'm dropping the whole lot out and am running it dry.

I asked Lidio if it was ok to do that and he said Yea, no problemo. For normal driving it'll be perfectly fine to drive it. We have to arrange a time for me to get to him when he'll test and probably swap out the intercooler.

I'm trying to remain cool about it butit's going to cost me in expenses and at least one full day, perhaps two (and a hotel room), to get it fixed[&:]
Old 07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Yea, Lidio is going to co-ordinate with Whipple so to be sure whatever may be needed will be available for me when I turn up. I think advance replacements are more likely with established shops, it's DIY'ers that wouldn't get that level of support.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Advance replacement part is being shipped to Alternative Auto right now. I'm driving there next week to have it installed. Fingers crossed..
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Update for you guys.
I got back from Detroit last night after driving to Alternative-Auto to have my Leaking Whipple fixed.

I was standing there when they pulled the blower off the motor with a knot in my stomach,The pressure of having driven so far as well as Alternative getting the replacement fixed up had me wishing it was leaking and that I hadn't imagined it
Anyway, I needn't have worried, there was wetness and coolant stains in the intake valley and the intercooler was wet at one corner - Phew.

The replacement parts were sent ahead by Whipple. It's interesting to note that Whipple assemble the intercooler to Blower in house and DO NOT want customers, even experienced shops, splitting them. The upshot of that is that I had a new Blower with intercooler installed as a complete unit.
Install went well and the car is back to it's normal fire breathing self.

Something which might be of use to know - Whipple have said that there is a batch of blowers out there with suspect intercooler cores. They have serial numbers of the batch which are affected. They had I think around10bounced back to them so far. The intercooler manufacturer is a job they subcontract out which has got to suck for them as well as the customer.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Yep, I had one of those leaking bastards on mine..... what a pain in the ****! Its all replaced now and hopefully they are pressure testing every unit they send out. That is just too much money invested in a supercharger to turn around and have to pull it back off for a replacement. Hopefully they correct that issue because the Whipple is one bad *** supercharger! I love mine to death.....and cant wait for a few more mods!!!
thanks for the update!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Ugh... I just finished my Whipple Install and am having the same problems.
Sometimes if I come to a stop and then do a hard launch it revs up for about a second then stumbles. I can hear it popping out the mufflers.
I know for sure it's NOT the rev limiter...
Luckily I've only run it less than 20 miles like this.

I just did a pressure test on the intercooler system and it's not holding pressure.
I even isolated just the heat exchanger so I know it's not something else in the system.
This sucks!
[:@]

I wonder if I'll get an andvanced replacement?
Bought it from Lethal Perf. Maybe they'll help me out on this...?

Thanks for posting about this problem. I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on otherwise.

Quick Reply: Whipple using water