Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car washes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car washes....

Go to the do it yourself pressure wash places, prewash with the high pressure rinse, then hit it with the high pressure soap, then turn on the soapy brush option TO DROP THE SOAP ON THE CAR (i.e, do not use the brush itself), and then wash by hand with a microfiber glove or rag, then rinse. If you can't wash in your driveway (if you live in an apartment, etc.), this works great!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I stay away from those places, and yes, I see how the automatic one could rip your spoiler.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:45 AM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

If you absolutely cannot wash it yourself because of your back, you can probably find a touchless car wash by you (no brushes/cloths, just high pressure water and blowdry). The one by me seemed safe and is only $7.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stndbck

I do not often take any of my cars to any type of automatic car wash. I always try to do it myself. However, due to a bad back last week and my car looking rather muddy due to all the rain, I gave one near work a try. When I pulled up the guy asked if I had been there before. I said no. He told me that "he had to tell me that the spoiler could be damaged if i went through." ( and yes, I then opted out for the car wash). Anyone have a problem with this?
I did not want to take the chance of destroying it my car to get it (sort of) clean.
We dont have any of the car washes that I have seen down south where the car wash thing does not touch the car, just the ones you drive through so I am kinda stuck.
how much is the car wash? how much would it cost to replace the spoiler? need i say more?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty particular about my car's finish like most of us, but on travel to car shows I've used TOUCHLESS car washes with surprisingly good results. When I went to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach last year, I depended on one of these to keep the salt residue off the car. The one that's down by Hooters did a phenomenal job. Once I exited I just wiped dry, added the tire shine, and it was back to cruisin' the streets!

John
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

i now live in an apartment complex and they yelled at me for washin it myself so i have to bring my soap, a bucket, and a washing mit to the do it your self car washes and do it there. ****in blows.
A law against washing your car in front of your apartment?
Is this in the lease or just frowned upon. Newer heard of such
a thing.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

I have used them and never had a problem with my spoiler or swirl marks. Keep it waxed and all is good. The issue I have had are the illegals playing 'see who can rev the engine the loudest'.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yeah never took mine to those places..always wash it myslef
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Joshua_s06MustangGT

Ok, after readingall of the posts in here, I have to admit to taking mine to a local car wash. I haven't had any major problems, except all the small hairline scratches/swirling like many of you have said. I will not take mine to one of "those" places any more.[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM
47Magic
1st Gear Member

Judi... You are something else. First you tell me about a HUMMER, now you are offering a handjob... I mean a hand wash.lol

Quick Reply: Car washes....