Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

My wife and I are organizing our first car show this year. One of the decisions that we made early on was who to bring in as judges. We had advice from several knowledgable car show people to the contrary, but what we decided was that the best judges would be the car owners themselves.

If I entered my car, and the local mayor said I had a nice car (and awarded me a trophy), I'd smile when they took my picture. If car owners that put thousands of hours into their own car said that I deserved a trophy, that would be a complement of a much higher order.

In the process of promoting our show, I was at a neighboring car show a couple of weeks ago, and talked to a guy with an immaculate1969 Mach1. He said he entered a big car show this spring and beat out many cars he thought were much better than his. A few weeks later, he went to a small car show and got nothing.

By sheer coincidence, this same guy has run another car show that is widely respected. We were able to gleen some good advice from him. Unfortunately, he had no idea what gave him the win (when he didn't deserve it), or no win (when it should've been an easy trip to the trophy stand).

When someone like that doesn't understand, I doubt there's any logic to the decision.

Edit: I forgot to mention in the original post that unless it's a major show with actual published judging guidelines, and things like that, I don't see these local car show trophies as the true motivation for showing a car. Maybe it's being able to be amongst the coolest cars around, or maybe it's meeting other "car people", or maybe it's something as simple as having an excuse to get the pride and joy out of the garage. Whatever the reason, the trophies, dash plaques, and other goodies are icing on the cake, not the cake itself. Just my 2 cents.....
I gave up trying to figure out who wins and why a long time ago... whether it be partipant vote or judged... LOL! I go strictly for the enjoyment of meeting people and hanging out... I view it more as a social event than anything else... and like you said, if I come home with something... well that's just an added bonus... LOL
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!

Car shows can be tough. Dont go expecting to win anything 1st off. Ive had my share of disappointments.
Losing to other stangs that were not nearly as clean as mine, but oh well.

2nd year for our companies car show and I took 1st in 2000 modified, that made my day!
They have many judges for this show. One guy judges undercarriage, another, interior, another exterior, another for engine bay, then tally up the points and award the prizes.