Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant expansion tank

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

Powers,
Do U really think FORD added that overflow tank to screw you up ? HELL NO, it's there to HELP you !
You have dozens of mods, and add-ons to do, before you even need to consider that "overflow-coolant" TANK
If you choose to call me an "e-thug", so be it, (been called worse), but to worry about that tank is totally RETARDED, and ohsixgt1217, and ALL of you can kiss my white roumanian *** !!!
I'm just trying to contribute, and help. That's all, maybe my style is abrasive to some, but, you won't FIND a better contributor.
Maybe they don’t teach comprehensive thinking in Romania , or common sense, but once again go back to my original post and you may figure out that I was in no way talking about the stock expansion tank being solely cosmetic, I mean its an ugly black and yellowish piece of plastic.

We should instigate a new rule, if you couldn’t beat the original poster in a race (or an IQ test in this case) then you should shut the FUG up.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM
dly
1st Gear Member

I have the Canton tank on my 07 N.A. GT/CS. It actually didn't hold all the coolant that I drain out before the install (probally 1 1/2 cups left). I do use the Redline Water Wetter and it does work very well. I switch because I liked the looks and it being metal vs. plastic. Just my opinon.

dly 07 Black GT/CS

[IMG]local://upfiles/40386/8860199596C143E08C234BD1D29AC5E5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/40386/AE1F86B0140A41EBA123FD549FEAAC87.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Lol i like that rule.

ORIGINAL: POWERS

Powers,
Do U really think FORD added that overflow tank to screw you up ? HELL NO, it's there to HELP you !
You have dozens of mods, and add-ons to do, before you even need to consider that "overflow-coolant" TANK
If you choose to call me an "e-thug", so be it, (been called worse), but to worry about that tank is totally RETARDED, and ohsixgt1217, and ALL of you can kiss my white roumanian *** !!!
I'm just trying to contribute, and help. That's all, maybe my style is abrasive to some, but, you won't FIND a better contributor.
Maybe they don’t teach comprehensive thinking in Romania , or common sense, but once again go back to my original post and you may figure out that I was in no way talking about the stock expansion tank being solely cosmetic, I mean its an ugly black and yellowish piece of plastic.

We should instigate a new rule, if you couldn’t beat the original poster in a race (or an IQ test in this case) then you should shut the FUG up.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:03 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Wow, a little heated up in here! There afew of things that you could do to cool down your motor. Some of them have already been posted: Water wetter is a great solution, it chemically changes the way that your coolant adheres (surface tension) to the interior of the the engine and radiator, thus the coolant cantransfer the heat more efficiently. And if you are not too terribly concerned with your MPG you could change the engine thermostat to a 180 deg or even a 170 deg. Change your electric fan temp setting with your tuner. The most expensive upgrade would be to replace your radiator with a heavy duty racingtype. And no, the Canton reserve tank is just a cosmetic upgrade, it will not make your car run cooler. The reserve tank is just that, it only stores the coolant that expands from your engine when it heats up. Hope this helps. Thats my .02 cents.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
BuddaBing
1st Gear Member

tank is stock, cover is not.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Wow, a little heated up in here! There afew of things that you could do to cool down your motor. Some of them have already been posted: Water wetter is a great solution, it chemically changes the way that your coolant adheres (surface tension) to the interior of the the engine and radiator, thus the coolant cantransfer the heat more efficiently. And if you are not too terribly concerned with your MPG you could change the engine thermostat to a 180 deg or even a 170 deg. Change your electric fan temp setting with your tuner. The most expensive upgrade would be to replace your radiator with a heavy duty racingtype. And no, the Canton reserve tank is just a cosmetic upgrade, it will not make your car run cooler. The reserve tank is just that, it only stores the coolant that expands from your engine when it heats up. Hope this helps. Thats my .02 cents.
Thanks for the info, i just added the water wetter today, it was the lost bottle left at discount auto, so im not the only one thats getting hot down here in FL. I will see how that helps over the next couple of days. Then ill look into the other things you mentioned if its still needed.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BuddaBing

tank is stock, cover is not.
That looks pretty bad *** whered u get that at? Probably easier to do that then replace the tank seeing as how its only a cosmetic upgrade anyways.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:11 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

When your coolant gets hot, it expands, and expells,................. to the holding tank.
FORD didn't think to add a "holding tank" for "****s and giggles", there is a GENUINE REASON, for it being there, and nota"cosmetic" add on, as you describe, or think.
If you feel it is useless, take it out, snip the hose, and let it run out on the ground. You'll be good to go.
Poision a few cats and dogs while you are at it.[:@]
Old 07-15-2007, 06:03 AM
BuddaBing
1st Gear Member

all the covers were hand made.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I put some of this stuff in my GT and my PU. Liked what it had to say. Anybody else heard of and used? Any feeling about what if did or did not do f or you?

"Greased Lightning Cooling System Treatment is the only Cooling System Treatment with PTFE to lower operating temperatures. Additionally, it has a rust and scale inhibitor, a stop leak and a water-based lubricant to protect thermostats and water pumps in an easy-to-use "All in One" treatment."

Funny part of the story, to me, was I figured I need to get a little water out of the system before adding, I wanted to make sure that it all went into the cooling system. So I got the top end covers off to see for the "fill" thinking the reservoir was simply a reservoir as was my experience. Figured out the "reservoir" is actually part of the whole flow of cooling system. Guess I'm a little slow, but then I've been around too long and keep my cars for too long. My last car left me at 29 years and 267k miles and didn't even have a reservoir