Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Opinions please

While I was a salesman at a Ford dealer I did manymoddedMustangs and of course the subject of warranty always came up. Rumor was that Ford would stand behind the car's factory warranty as described above (36/36k if delivered with the car or12/12kif added by a dealer post sale). Not being one to hang my rep on rumor, I called Ford racing and they confirmed that this was true. The Ford CAI doesn't give you as much HP gain due to the milder plug-n-play tune that it comes with, but if you want added performance and don't want any question about warranty, then that's the way to go. As stated earlier, any CAI kit 'shouldn't' void the warranty, but this is always a crap shoot depending on the dealer. You could always fight it if the situation came up, but who has the time and patience for that? If it were my car, and I had a concern about warranty, I'd speak with the Service Manager (not a service writer) at several dealers to gauge their opinion on the matter. You're likely to find that most won't go out of their way to void your warranty, but check to make sure. If nothing else, go with the dealer installed Ford unit for peace of mind.

BUT, look at my sig, I don't care about warranty. I take very good care of my Mustang and thus far I have had no problems at all. Of course I know that if problems do come up, I just have to be prepared to handle them financially on my own, but I'm ok with that. If I blow my engine, I guess I'll have to get forged internals, new heads, etc (DARN!!).
Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

I spoke to guys at ford about this and from what I was told ford racing parts will void your warranty IF they've been installed by the ford dealer...not unless you're told otherwise.For example, if you have an auto tranny and you wanna boost up the car to 500hp they'll tell you that the warranty on the whole drivetrain will be voided because it's just too much power for it. more than that, they are supposed to have you sign some paperwork where you will state that it is ok with you. That's how it is at galpin ford in LA at least.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

I spoke to guys at ford about this and from what I was told ford racing parts will void your warranty IF they've been installed by the ford dealer...not unless you're told otherwise.For example, if you have an auto tranny and you wanna boost up the car to 500hp they'll tell you that the warranty on the whole drivetrain will be voided because it's just too much power for it. more than that, they are supposed to have you sign some paperwork where you will state that it is ok with you. That's how it is at galpin ford in LA at least.
This is true in most cases. However, Ford has made provisions for a few select packages offred from Ford Racing such as the handling pack and a select few other packages. 500 hp is certainly out of the question.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:21 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

according to Ford Racing Parts page there is a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty if the package is installed by the dealer at the time of sale and a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty if installed by the dealer after the sale of the vehicle. So if you're worried about warranty work this may be the way to go.
that is what I was told... but the warranty is only offered on the CAI and Tune...grears, supercharger, etc. are out of the question.. The FRPP tune is not as aggressive as other tunes and it is, as you noted, more expensive. If warranty is imporant this might be a good option but, you can always swap back the car to stock before you take it in for service.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

500 hp out of the stock engine should certainly void the drivetrain warranty IMMEDIATELY!

A mere 19-25hp or so should be no problem.

I just know if I'd had a CAI when I had my engine problem occurred I'd have been up a creek!