Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default TPMS fuse?

hey guys.. i recenty put some bullits on the ol stang.. and forgot to switch over the TPMS from my stocks.. and at first i wasnt sure that i had them.. so i went ahead and mounted them with with out the sensors (i work at discount tire) and didnt get a message on the dash untill like 3 days later and 3-400 miles later.. and i was not going to dismount them all and have the chance of me scratching them.. just to know that my tire is low.. also im going to run a lower pressure in them anyways..

so basically what im asking, is... does any one know what fuse the TPMS deals with.. im going to look, but was just wondering if any one knew or had any other suggestions..

-GTstang
Old 07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: TPMS fuse?

No way around it.....get the new bands put in.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

im not doin new bands.. i would rather keep pressing reset everytime i start the car to clear the message..

Old 07-22-2007, 08:25 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, I didn't know I had the tpms option until I mounted up my nittos/takeoffs today (we used regular valve stems at the shop) and about five miles down the road, I get a tire monitor fault...for now I've been hitting the info display reset button at startup, and the system leaves me alone until the next time I have to fire it up...although since my takeoffs came in charcoal and I have silver wheels (oops!), once the 4.10s go in and I need the traction, I'll swap the nittos onto the factory wheels with the sensors anyway...
Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ya same here.. its just the bead and how the barrel and the wheel is on these replicas.. it was a pain in the azz to mount them up, and i dont want to take a chance in scratchin them.. or ripping the bead on the tire.. and plus my take offs are on my buddys v-6.. its not worth all the work
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: howarmat

No way around it.....get the new bands put in.
so on these cars it's a plastic sensor mounted around the rim with a giant worm-drive clamp? ugh! They did that on the c4 corvettes...but the c5s and c6s have one integrated into the valve stem...much easier to work with when changing tires...
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

honestly.. if im changin tires on a rim with TPMS i like the bands better.. bc i feel likes they are alot less easy to break..

BUTTT.. when it comes time to put on new wheels.. bahh what a hasle.. the other ones just bolt into place in the existing valve stem placement.. where with bands.. you have to take liek 3 mins extra for each wheel.. but whatever.. it is what it is..

so you guys are tellin me there is no fuse for it?.. gotta be
Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

If some inventor is reading this you would make a ton of money if you could make a compact tpms sensor for our cars that would integrate into the valve stem or some other way to avoid this. But my guess is its just a matter of time since this is now mandatory on all vehicles, someone will come up with a way around it.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 PM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

Here's what I did just earlier today. I went to HomeDepot and bought a 12" long 1 1/2" PVC threaded pipe, 2(ea) 1 1/2" threaded caps, and PVC cement, then I went to PepBoys and bought a 1 1/4" threaded valve stem. Total Cost approx. $16.00.

I drilled a hole in one of the caps to accept the treaded valve stem. I placed the TPMS sensors in the pipe, cemented the caps, pressurized the pipe bomp looking contraption to 35psi, and leak checked in a bucket of water.

At first I was getting (instead of TPMS error) Low Tire Pressure Warning light. I tried everything I could think of i.e. disconnected negative battery terminal, cycled the key off and on many times, and the warning would not go away. I finally said screw it and began cleaning my garage. I left the pipe bomb in the car while cleaning and decided to go for a drive appox an hour later, and just like that the light was gone.

I took a bungee cord and attatched the device to the holes in the bottom of the decklid, in between the rear speakers. After the install I was in such good spirits I went to B@m@chips and ordered a JLT2 and a tuner. I figured I saved some money why not reward myself. Thanks to 2007Grabber for the assist.

To see a picture of the contraption click here http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...IMG_1141_1.jpg
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

I had the low tire pressure thing when i had my battery disconnected for a long period of time and it took a little bit for it to go away once it was connnected back up. I'm probably going to try the pipe way when i get my new wheels and tires back this week and hopefully it works like it did for you If this method worked 100% of the time it would be worthwhile for someone to start mass producing them as kits to make some money. Wish i had some spare cash and time, i would do it hehe.