Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something rubbing/rattling into the underbody.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Something rubbing/rattling into the underbody.

Well, I switched out my SLP Loudmouths and put the Stock mufflers on. As soon as I did this I heard this loud rattling that seemed to be caused by the exhaust. Basically it sounds like a bracket is loose and every so often it sounds like the exhaust is rubbing against the body (doesn't happen if I sit there and rev it.) but does happen while in motion.

Anyway, I realized some of the hanging brackets were loose, so I tightened them up and I thought the sound was gone but I keep hearing it ; just fainter. I had my 40 series flowmasters put on and the sound is still there. I looked all over the exhaust and there doesn't seem to be anything touching. Could it be the jack rattling against the body? I took the spare out and the jack didn't seem to be really "secured" to anything. Can someone send me a picture of the proper way the jack is supposed to be? I was looking at the little diagram on how the Jack is supposed to be removed but mine isn't located like that. I tried to reposition mine to match the diagram but it still didn't work... So if someone could snap a picture of theirs that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Any other ideas on what it could be would help as well.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Something rubbing/rattling into the underbody.

it's not a great pic and i'm not even sure
the jack is in the correct posistion, but
this is how mine is.

found a better pic...

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/96B379C357454736B59BC6635102B95E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I spent hours yesterday trying to find the source of my "2500 RPM" squeal, rattle, noise, screech, whatever...". Still there. Tighted everything on the exhaust, hangers, over axle pipe, clamps, everything...Still there. But it does now do it while not moving, so I have pretty much ruled out the clutch paks....Still might be one of my Flows starting to go bad....Don't know...

I thought I had found the issue with one of the Cat heat shields on the drivers side. Very vibratory, but I bent it so it wasn't vibrating, to no avail. You may want to check this heat shield on the drivers side, right below the drivers seat...

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

I spent hours yesterday trying to find the source of my "2500 RPM" squeal, rattle, noise, screech, whatever...". Still there. Tighted everything on the exhaust, hangers, over axle pipe, clamps, everything...Still there. But it does now do it while not moving, so I have pretty much ruled out the clutch paks....Still might be one of my Flows starting to go bad....Don't know...

I thought I had found the issue with one of the Cat heat shields on the drivers side. Very vibratory, but I bent it so it wasn't vibrating, to no avail. You may want to check this heat shield on the drivers side, right below the drivers seat...

Mike
No, it's definately coming from the rear of the car. Only happened when I took off my SLP Loudmouths and put the stock exhaust on so I'm sure it has something to do with the exhaust. Basically it sounds like the exhaust is making something along the lines vibrate into the body. I just can't locate it.

Today I'm just going to take out the jack all together and see if that's the problem. Looking at your picture it's very angled and not centered over those two things. Though you have that little hook screwed through the jack handle and into the body which mine doesn't have. (It has the screw, just wasn't screwed through the jack.)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Hope you find the cause - I know, these things can really drive one nuts.

Couldn't help but notice you sig! You ran13.075 @ 107.75 mph with a bone-stock GT??? [:-] Tell us more!!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Check the insertion depth of the mounting "finger" in the hanger at the rear of the muffler. It's possible that your reinstall has the finger a little closer to the frame than when originally installed and engine movement and exhaust system expansion when hot is allowing it to make metal-to-metal contact.

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

It sound kinda metallic?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dex

It sound kinda metallic?
Yep. Sounds like a kazoo......I had one of my co-workers verify this morning for me. It's the driver's side Flowmaster....[:@][:@] It only hits right at 2500 RPM, on both accel and decel.....I guess I thought that when the Flowmasters took a crap, it was all at once, and all the time....Guess I was wrong....[:'(][:'(]

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

well i get the noise at 2500rpm's but i dont have any new exhaust in. dont know what it is but sometimes it gets really annoying hearing it.