Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Hal900x

Default RE: Help me choose a brake upgrade

ORIGINAL: sw07gt
I would take a look at the Baers.
The Baers are cross-drilled, so they're out. They are also rather pricey for a stripped-down kit.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:08 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

cut a hole in the floor of your car and brake fred flinstone style!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I agree with the stock brakes being underpowered. For those who just stroke their rides around town or run them in the stop light grand prix, they are fine.
After a big stop on the highway (Running into an exit slip road for example) or a little spirited driving on a back roads mine start to tremor and the pedal isn't as responsive which is the precursor to fade.
Baer make a straight swap kit for the rotors and also a bigger rotor kit with extension blocks for the stock calipers. Maybe they are worth considering, I believe the stock calipers are pretty good, it's the disks which can't shift the heat away.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:48 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

I agree with the stock brakes being underpowered. For those who just stroke their rides around town or run them in the stop light grand prix, they are fine.
After a big stop on the highway (Running into an exit slip road for example) or a little spirited driving on a back roads mine start to tremor and the pedal isn't as responsive which is the precursor to fade.
Baer make a straight swap kit for the rotors and also a bigger rotor kit with extension blocks for the stock calipers. Maybe they are worth considering, I believe the stock calipers are pretty good, it's the disks which can't shift the heat away.
i fully agree about the stock brakes. if i get over 100mph and try to slow, i have to slow very slowly and even then they still fade hard as hell. brake cooling ducts do wonders. reduce fade, and increase recovery from it.i took mine off because i would have been embarassed w/ them on when i took it to VMP, lol! a lot of guys on here say better pads will do the trick. granatelli makes slotted and dimpled rotors at a good price, tho i don't know how great they are. they do however make great claims on their site. other then that, steel braided lines i hear are supposed to work well too. unless you go big time as discussed earlier in this thread, and man would i love to have the dough for that, the aforementioned are my suggestions. oh, and also, like i said before, cut a whole in the floor and fred flinstone it!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I've been looking and it seems like the options are just rather limited. I was looking at the Baer front kit but not sure. Jegs saus you can use with 17" wheels then LMP says you need 19". I'm still trying to figure it out![&:]
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

for all you guys talking about going all out, seriously look at the duct kits available. there's really a lot to be gained from blasting cold air straight to the center of your rotor. ask rodeoflyer, he has a kit.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

You should be able to get AP Racing 4 piston front + rotors, pads and lines for under $3k. If you want to go a bit higher dollar PFC has the ZR33 4 piston calipers, rotors and pads but that would put you around $3500 (I think) and the pads and rotors are very expensive to replace, but you can't beat the performance - well you can, but then you are talking $10k

If I am not mistaken the Grand Am Mustangs are running Brembo 4 pot fronts, PFC Rotors front and back and PFC pads so you could go with that config too.
(Grand Am won't let them run the ZR33 calipers apparently - even though I think the C6 prep 2 'vettes do run ZR33).

BTW, I have been running the stock calipers and rotors on my GT and they have a LOT of 130+mphto 40-mph action on them...no warps, cracks or chips. Of course that all changes this month as I have probably been waaaaay too lucky. I am in fact looking at the PFC line. Lightweight, quick change feature (pads changed in 40 seconds) and so forth...but she is not going to be a daily driver any more.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PLstang

I've been looking and it seems like the options are just rather limited. I was looking at the Baer front kit but not sure. Jegs saus you can use with 17" wheels then LMP says you need 19". I'm still trying to figure it out![&:]
Thats wierd they say 19" wheels I would call Baer you'll want a template to fit test your wheels before buying anyways. That has to be a big caliper to not fit 18" wheels even with the 14" rotor. I checked both pmpparts and lethal performance and they both say 18" minimum. You can get just the rotors wiht the H/W to move the stock caliper for about $600 and I have heard that fits with no problem but again you'll want to double check, they also do a set for the rears. Anyways if you do just rotors and add ss braided lines, fluid,and pads as suggested above that should imrove your braking considerably over the stock system. Mine has started to glaze so I have to do something, I dont care for the brakes on this car they seem kinda mushy to me so I'll do what I can to upgrade w/o spending a fortune on wheels.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 AM
blitzed589
2nd Gear Member

Cant screw upwith Brembo...thats what i would get.