Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating Fuel Level Reading Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Fluctuating Fuel Level Reading Issues

I have seen where a few guys are having gas gauge problems. I have had the same thing for a while now.

Let me start with the fuel tank sending unit (ENTIRE assembly including fuel pump and fuel gauge sender) was replaced by Ford under warranty 3 months ago.....there's the set-up.

It will mostly act up when I first start it or fill it up with fuel.....the gauge itself will read very low and the Distance To Empty will then reflect whatever the gauge is telling it. For instance this morning, knowing I had over a half a tank of fuel, when I started the car, the gauge only went to about 1/8th of a tank and I got the low fuel "beep" which read "36 MILES TO EMPTY."

Typically, if I slam on the brakes while going slowly to "slosh" the fuel around in the tank, the gauge will (typically) immediately correct itself and show the correct level. The DTE display takes a while to then adjust itself to the proper distance to empty.

Anyone STILL having this problem after having the sending unit replaced? It's a tad bit annoying, to say the least.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fluctuating Fuel Level Reading Issues

Bueler.......Bueler? Nobody?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i still havn't quite figured it all out, but there
is a fuel level sensor unit in the other side (passenger) of the
tank......
Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Every ford I have or had has had a fuel guage problem.....I just carry a long stick around J/K ..but you would think ford could fix this by now...geeeez
Old 08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: zx9rpilot

I have seen where a few guys are having gas gauge problems. I have had the same thing for a while now.

Let me start with the fuel tank sending unit (ENTIRE assembly including fuel pump and fuel gauge sender) was replaced by Ford under warranty 3 months ago.....there's the set-up.

It will mostly act up when I first start it or fill it up with fuel.....the gauge itself will read very low and the Distance To Empty will then reflect whatever the gauge is telling it. For instance this morning, knowing I had over a half a tank of fuel, when I started the car, the gauge only went to about 1/8th of a tank and I got the low fuel "beep" which read "36 MILES TO EMPTY."

Typically, if I slam on the brakes while going slowly to "slosh" the fuel around in the tank, the gauge will (typically) immediately correct itself and show the correct level. The DTE display takes a while to then adjust itself to the proper distance to empty.

Anyone STILL having this problem after having the sending unit replaced? It's a tad bit annoying, to say the least.
First, M/T or A/T?
Second, Engine running or off when filling?
Third. Parking brake set or released?
There are 3 or 4 modes to the fuel level system.
One is anti-slosh mode.
Need more details to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

I am sorry to hear your having the same problem as I, but glad to hear I am not the only one. I have had all the same chit replaced, had the car in more than four times for this same issue, and continue to experience the same issues, not as much, but it is still occuring. I wish I had an answer for you, but I too am looking for an answer. Mine hasn't occured anytime recently, but once it does back to the dealer it goes. Keep me posted if you find the cure as I will do the same.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

1. M/T
2.Engine running or off when filling, doesn't matter
3.Parking brake set or released, doesn't matter

It happens while driving, at idle and with key turned to acc. without engine running.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've been having the same issue since I bought my car last year. It only happens when I leave the car parked outside of the garage on a very hot day, and it always corrects itself after a minute or so of driving, so I just haven't bothered with it. If it's still doing it when my warranty is nearing completion, then I'll pull my CAI out and take it to get fixed, but I still have a year and a half on the warranty and it doesn't really bother me.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

1. M/T
2.Engine running or off when filling, doesn't matter
3.Parking brake set or released, doesn't matter

It happens while driving, at idle and with key turned to acc. without engine running.
Yea U got problems. The sender is corroded from the
s%!t gas we get nowdays. There are previous posts on
the subject. The stealership will advise you what additive
to purchase.
Search the posts.