Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geek trying to Mod: Good "1st choice" mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Geek trying to Mod: Good "1st choice" mods?

if you wanted a car for fuel economy, you shouldn't have bought a GT, or a mustang in general for that matter.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM
NinoAvila

ORIGINAL: nanaki
if you wanted a car for fuel economy, you shouldn't have bought a GT, or a mustang in general for that matter.
And now if I want a worthless post I know where to look....

Hell, my '86 bronco got 9MPG (sold for my Harley). I know *ALL ABOUT* poor milage. I'm just looking for questions to my answers. That's all. I have never mod'ed a vehicle (for speed) before nor do I know anyone that has. Some mod's HELP your fuel milage, some deduct. I just wanted to know which does which.

-N

Old 02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
NinoAvila

Based on the recommendations, it looks like I'll be going the way of the SCT flash, the steeda CAI and some new mufflers.

I would still like to know, is the under-drive pulley worth it? They're one of the cheaper mods so I might be able to squeeze another 175 out of somewhere for it if it's worth the headache I'd get from the wife

-Nino
Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Hydra8572

if you are at all worried about your warranty don't do the underive pulleys. yes it free's up HP, but it does that by slowing down the rotation of your compants (alternator, WATERPUMP, AC/Compressor) after talking to several service techs at the local dealerships underives are better left till after your warranty runs out.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NinoAvila

Based on the recommendations, it looks like I'll be going the way of the SCT flash, the steeda CAI and some new mufflers.

I would still like to know, is the under-drive pulley worth it? They're one of the cheaper mods so I might be able to squeeze another 175 out of somewhere for it if it's worth the headache I'd get from the wife

-Nino
I have the UD pullys on mine and they really added more punch to the already great throttle response. The UD pully's will help out a lot if you put the gears on because the gears will make you turn more RPM's for the same vehicle speed you used to have. The UD pully's will slow the accessories back down so you won't wear them out as fast. I have noticed no problems at idle as far as charging goes. Thats what I was concerned about the most. Also for everyones info I am getting about 22.5 miles to the gallon after changing gears and thats with an Automatic. It really gets better MPG around town because it puts the engine in a better powerband for overdrive at low speeds.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
New2Ford
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

There is anther thing to do here. CAI, the tuning X-Calibrator. However, there is a vapor filter inline to the intake which apparenlty restricts airflow. I read a dyno test, that needs to come out and X-Calibrator needs to know that was done. I do not know if the CAI install accomplishes that restriction removal at the same time?

I've been thinking about the CAI, the restriction removal and the X-Calibrator. I'm not a pro, "New2Ford" you say this is not an extremely difficult surgery? I've done tune ups, brakes, remove and install of many things, and I'm running a Power Commander III on my '04 Yamaha FJR1300ABS which I did myself. ;-)
You will have no problems with this stuff! Both the CAI and X-calibrator come with instructions.For the CAI you remove the factory air box and just replace it with the CAI unit,just a few nuts and bolts and your done.As for the x-calibrator you just plug it in and press a few buttons and walla your done,easy as pie! If you can do brakes(especially drum brakes) you can do theese mods!

ORIGINAL: 05SatinSilver

ORIGINAL: NinoAvila

Gears seem nice, but I don't know that it would be worth sacrificing my fuel economy.

Will any other mods deduct from my fuel milage?

-Nino
Dude, if your worried about fuel economy, then don't do Any mods. Mods = more HP, more HP = less fuel economy, but who cares?
You want more HP & Torque, you've got to pay for it somewhere!

I'm in the same boat as you though, and plan to do 4.10 gears, CAI & SCT.

Dave...
Not true in the least part! I used to have a big block dart with a 11.5 to 1 comp ratio,and it got 18 m.p.g not bad for a "muscle car"! The truth is with a higher comp ratio you will yeild better fuel economy,the higher compression lets the fuel burn more efficiently.Also the easier air gets in and out of an engine the better fuel miliage you will get! So if you were to shave the heads,gasket match the ports,CAI,headers and a free flowing exhaust you would see a huge power improvement and better m.p.g's!

The thing is that if you are flooring it all the time and always do "jack rabbit" starts from light to light your m.p.g's will suffer no matter what.If you drive consertively,and save the speed for the track you will see better miliage by far!
N2f
Old 02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
New2Ford
1st Gear Member

Also on a side note,the new mustang has the best exhaust I have ever seen on a domestic car! It is all mandrel bent 2.5 in. stainless steel tubing,which is more than enough for the 281 C.I that the 4.6 has,this exhaust will definatly support up to 450 h.p! People seem to think its weak because the mufflers Ford used are quiet,But they are very efficient;they keep things quiet while yeilding the perfect amount of back pressure for the best economy and power.Changing the mufflers will only be for sound effects,dont listen to what thoose companys say.Even the full cat back system will not give you more power.I see the only way to improve the factory exhaust system is with headers.
N2F
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: New2Ford

Also on a side note,the new mustang has the best exhaust I have ever seen on a domestic car! It is all mandrel bent 2.5 in. stainless steel tubing,which is more than enough for the 281 C.I that the 4.6 has,this exhaust will definatly support up to 450 h.p! People seem to think its weak because the mufflers Ford used are quiet,But they are very efficient;they keep things quiet while yeilding the perfect amount of back pressure for the best economy and power.Changing the mufflers will only be for sound effects,dont listen to what thoose companys say.Even the full cat back system will not give you more power.I see the only way to improve the factory exhaust system is with headers.
N2F
I agree. Check out the long tube headers. As far as I know only JBA have long tubes for the new '05 and are quite expensive.