Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoin my 2005 hellllpppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Default Redoin my 2005 hellllpppp!!!

OK heres the basic lowdown. I have a 2005 GT mustang that is COMPLETLY stock, and I mean completely. So I am looking to put about 15,000 dollars into the engine (basically my money from iraq heh) and body if anything is left over. What I have been getting a feel for is totally throwing the rule book out the window here and tearing my whole engine out to be replaced by a 450(ish) sized big boy and just let my car ride. I really dont have a clue on where to go to get a affordable crate engine or what specs I would be looking for anyways. So heres what I need help with...

1. Is this a dumb idea in the first place?
2. What kinda engine should I be looking at?
3. What kinda supercharger?
4. Exhaust?
5. Cams?
6. Clutch?
7. Tires n Rims?
8. Rear ratio for FAST takeoffs
9. Shifter
10. Can I get a crate engine that is bored out and polished?
11. Pistons and Rods that will go with the engine u think I should get?
12. And any other help you think a new car guy needs

My final goal is to have a FAST ride with over 550hp to the wheels that takes off like a beast. I want it to sound as good as it preforms though, not sure what cams to get for that throaty engine roar but yah thats a necessity.

Well I hope I didnt sound too horrible with this but as you can see I reallllly need help.

Thanks a bunch yall,
James
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Redoin my 2005 hellllpppp!!!

1. Is this a dumb idea in the first place? No just a lot of money and work
2. What kinda engine should I be looking at? I would stay with a mod motor (5.4)
3. What kinda supercharger? Kenne Bell or a turbo
4. Exhaust? stainless works 3"
5. Cams? I would stay stock cams you can spend money elsewhere
6. Clutch?
7. Tires n Rims? your taste not mine but avoid 20 inch rims
8. Rear ratio for FAST takeoffs FI likes 3.73
9. Shifter Hurst
10. Can I get a crate engine that is bored out and polished? (polished?) how about bored and stroked instead? yes but I would just do a 5.4 modular
11. Pistons and Rods that will go with the engine u think I should get? get a crate 5.4 and you wont need to select pistons
12. And any other help you think a new car guy needs PCM, aluminum driveshaft, etc.etc.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Ok so I am looking at getting a modular 5.4 (any help on good places to find these would be helpful) with a Kenne Bell Supercharger on it. Also I am guessing that the 3" stainless pipes should be flowmaster? not sure if flowmaster is still the best for stangs for that throaty, deep rumble. Keep the rims small but what kinda tires should I be looking at? I want to widen the back tires at the least and lower the car probably heh not sure how much to lower a 10th gen stang. Hurst shifter and I am going to get a new K&N airfilter as well. Also what is a PCM? not quite sure on that one.

Thnx for help keep it commin though!

Also anything else at all that anyone can help me with i.e. links to parts that might go well with this build i am looking at or something please feel free I am a open book and got money to burn so make it stretch!

btw I will be posting pics of this project over the next few weeks as I start instaling things!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how long you have been reading on this forum, but I would:

1. Kenne Bell supercharge my 4.6 stock engine.(Save about 4k, put it in savings etc, just incase the stock internals giveway)
2. Kooks, or similar long tube headers with high flow cats, into FRPP Stingers.
3. I would replace the factory clutch, at the point itis gone.
4. Maybe 3.73 rear gears, after I spent some time with the 3.55's, see if I need more.......
5. Hurst shifter yes.
6. Rims and Tires are up to you,......I like the machined GT 500 wheels alot,.....
7. I would go with a 1 piece, (maybe carbon fiber) driveshaft.
8.Maybe some painted on stripes........

The main thing is you have a great budget to work with, don't rush in with this project, I would go in stages and see how things progress. Also makes the modding process last longer, and is more enjoyable.

I wish I had 15k to put into my rig.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Ok I got deployed... AGAIN and am now working on those mods that everyone recommended plus about 30 hours of reading forum post after forum post.... here are some things I decided on...

Engine work first lets see...
-Pypes off-road X-Pipe (Ordered)
-Axelback Borla Stingers (Already installed)
-Mustang Comp Cams Stage 3
-C&L CAI with a SCT X-CAL 2 Tuner (Ordered)
-Whipple or KB Supercharger (10-24 PSI KIT cant decide which company to go with yet advice is welcome heh)
-Pistons and Rods after I bore and stroke my engine (this, the supercharger, and the cams will happen together)

And now for the visual upgrades...
-Mustang Gauge Pillar with a Fuel Mixture and a Boost Gauge
-Hood struts
-Louvered Side Scoops (Already installed)
-Hood Pins
-Foglight covers (GT Yellow and HID Blue come with the package gonna see which one I like best)
-35% Tint (Doin this tomorrow)

Ok those are the things that I already know what I want of now for the questionable items that I need help deciding what brand and site to buy off of...
-Suspension/Lowering Kit
-Shifter
-Pistons and Rods
-Gears (thinking 4.10 but not sure)
-Grill
-Bodykit
-Spoiler
-Tires and Rims

And since I am new to modding cars I am sure I missed something important so please let me know. The bank account has dropped by about 2,000 dollars with what I have installed already and have ordered so I am looking at about $13,000 to work with from here on out. Also I have taken pics of what I did so far (exhaust basically) and have a vid of the new exhaust as soon as I host it up I will be sure to post updates.

Please keep this going and be a part of building this with me!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Come back safe so you can enjoy your family and modded car.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Oh I am back I mean since that first post and now I was deployed on the Nimitz and just got back to return to working on this beast (soon to be beast i should say)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Whomp
1st Gear Member

Oh man, I can't wait to see what comes of your car, it all sounds badass.

I suppose if I had the money to blow, I would either get a Terminator setup and fully build that engine for high boost, or like others said, save that money for when **** breaks and fully build the existing engine, get a large supercharger ( I would probably get a Procharger D1 or F1) and set it up for high boost. 31 spline axles or whatever the number is, gears exhaust, huge intercooler. Hell if your going the distance get a set of Bogarts or Weld's with some giant Mickey Thompson Sportsmans.

I must stop this modding talk, I feel I might soil myself and then sob like a schoolgirl since I can't have any of it.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

you can have the mods you just need to be single, with a paid off car, and get tons of money from the government because you live with a roomate and they give you 4x the housing money you need lol.... oh and a 15 monther in Iraq helps
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Whomp
1st Gear Member

MMMMMM,

BAH allowance: $986
BAS allowance: $125
Imminent danger pay: $250
Seperation pay: $225
Sgt pay: $2800

Using the term "Good enough for government pay" : PRICELESS

Quick Reply: Redoin my 2005 hellllpppp!!!