Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear whine CONT....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear whine CONT....

D@mn man!Good luck with it all.Your the only one Ive ever seen have problems like this!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

im getting worried about installing my gears now! they are ford racing but still, i hope i have no problems
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brendend

im getting worried about installing my gears now! they are ford racing but still, i hope i have no problems
I swear every week someone posts something abou their gears and something wrong with them. The only thing that they have in common is they aren't FRPP. So I am very happy I spent the extra and got the FRPP. Don't worry about anything. Just be sure to let us know how it goes so that we can add your experience to our knowledge bank.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

went to the shop today. the owner was insulting and rude. he said that either my gears are bad, or my wheels are off balance, or its something else that he cant be blamed for. all i was asking was to take him for a spin so he could see it from my point of view. i think he beleive i was imagining it, but i brought my friend with me too, because he experienced the problems with me, he even drove it himself. my friend built the hell out of his car himself, and the shop owner does trust his opinion. he still wouldnt take a ride with me, he made me takehis mechanic for a spin. the mechanic confirmed the noise and vibration. he chalked the whine up to the gear choice, but the vibration he said might be because he installed my driveshaft back the wrong way. they did nothing to fix it. to top it off, i have to pay for new bolts for the end of my driveshaft because they wore them with their air gun. not stripped, but burred on the corners. a definite replace. that also means they didnt properly torque the bolts on, both amount-of-torque-wise and also likely the pattern they chose to put them back on with. tomorrow i am going to have another mechanic render an opinion on the job, and redo the driveshaft with some friends. should the new mechanicchalk it up to poor install, i will get thatinwriting andsue, especially because the original shop guaranteed the work in writing. as it is, i need new bolts and spent tons on gas going back and forth, and with all the test drives and such. furthermore, i will have to replace the gears with the new ones richmond is sending me,and i will also have to buy more oil and friction modifier.

welcome to the hell that is my life, lol!!! no but seriously, things can always be worse, i'm not starving to death or anything for example.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Do yourself a favor and don't use the Richmond gears, go with the FRPP's.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

What a mess!

On the driveshaft, I don't know how you'll clock it into its original position. Sounds like your mechanic never indexed the pinion flange and the transmission output flange to the driveshaft. I'm no pro mechanic, but even I knew to index both flanges to the stock shaft and also made sure both were clocked correctly when installing my new shaft.
And, you mentioned that they didn't properly torque (and pattern sequence)the bolts on the pinion flange? Sounds like a lot of shortcutswere taken at your expense.

Although your friend may be a great mechanic, why did you ignore the countless recommendations from 99% of the guys hereand didn't get the FRPP 'A' gears from the get go?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:01 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

What a mess!

On the driveshaft, I don't know how you'll clock it into its original position. Sounds like your mechanic never indexed the pinion flange and the transmission output flange to the driveshaft. I'm no pro mechanic, but even I knew to index both flanges to the stock shaft and also made sure both were clocked correctly when installing my new shaft.
And, you mentioned that they didn't properly torque (and pattern sequence)the bolts on the pinion flange? Sounds like a lot of shortcutswere taken at your expense.
Workshop manual says mark the driveshaft and pinion flange
before disassenbly and proper torque and sequence is needed.
Crawl under and look for marks. No marks = bad mechanic =
lawsuit for costs incured.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Bro, you really need to just sell off those new Richmond gears when you get them and just get some FRPP. At least you will know that you aren't wasting your time again when the new Richmonds whine after install...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

check new thread