Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Mufflers

yeah...too bad there aren't many for this particular car yet, but there is a ton of dyno information in regards to other cars. I think "muffler shootout" or "dyno shootout" may pull up some search results for comparisons of various products.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:38 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Corsa is nice.. but 700 for it is a little steep.. but the extra hp is nice.. Since the stock is not bad I think I will just save the $$ for the SC. Either that or work more OT
Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
sldzodin

There are many different things going on here. About gain, sound, pipe diameter. First off, sound is very subjective, two of us can stand behind your car and describe the sound. It wont be the same. The '05 Mustang does need some back pressure, but not as much as the factory exhaust gives. If you run the car stock and remove the cats you will lose some low end HP and torque. Most drivers want the power at the light, so to speak unless you are racing a full 1320 feet. You can replace the factory cat or H pipe with aftermarket products, I don't know of any that are smog legal. The after market X or h pipe will help performance, buy with the high flow cats to keep some back pressure. Because Mustang went to 2 1/2" pipes, most manufactures only have high flow mufflers, with nice tips. Sometimes called axle backs. And power can be gained there too. Different manufacturers build mufflers with different technology. Some are chambered and some are absorbsion or straight through. Usually the smaller the size or can, the louder the sound.

I was informed that a large midwest performance Ford dealer has run some muffler tests on the dyno with results to be published in the near future in one of the Ford magazines.

I am a older guy who had my own shop for many years and was a licensed master tech. I did race GM cars and I currently have a Mustang GT. I do tech support on exhaust systems for a living since I moved from Detroit to SoCal. If you have an exhaust question on exhaust systems on recent Mustangs, '86 to current, E-mail me at: sheldon@bassani.com

Thank you for your time, Sheldon
Old 03-17-2005, 09:54 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi Sheldon,

I'm not "older" but I'll be 50 early in July. I have a computer science and electrical engineering education and work background in addition to being a professional sports photographer. I have worked on several different 60's era muscle cars and many BMW, VW and Porsche engines with mechanical and electronic F.I.. I've worked with more than one nationally respected VW tunning company in creating and developing their dyno tuning methods by altering the code in BOSCH ECU's using in-circut emulation on the dyno, this was over 15 years ago. I know a little about computers, electronics and engineering methodology and use of the dyno for engine tunning.

Has anything I've posted been technically incorrect? It sounds like you're not saying anything different than I've already posted. Sound is one thing and backpressure and resonance are something else. Air flow is air flow, some back pressure is necessary but too much will choke off the top end. Ideally you'd like to maintain enough back pressure to allow the engine to work at low RPM and yet still be open enough to not limit the engine on top, balance it for the application I say. This new 3 valve head with the 4.6l's small displacement makes for a is a rev happy engine with realatively limited torque. This is helped somewhat by the variable cam timing and variable intake runner but you can only do so much with this technique on a NA engine. This is not a truck engine. IMO the performance oriented 3-valve 4.6l owner's mantra should be "let it spin and be happy!"

When your undisclosed dealer gets the dyno results published and his results and other independant tests repeat his results I'll believe it. I seriously doubt that changing the rear mufflers alone can make signifficant (to me that would be a repeatable 5% beyond the the dyno's margin of error), additional power. So far no independant chassis dyno testing has shown any "significant" additional power to be had by simply changing the rear cans. What does this tell you as an exaust consultant? I'm dying to know your opinion as are many others here.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 PM
sldzodin

Hi Cheers/Chip,

I'm on my way home now. I only will comment on exhaust, nothing on ECM's or engines. You can phone me on Monday at toll free 866-782-3283, or leave a voice mail or E-mail me direct at sheldon@bassani.com

I will give you my thoughts on Mustang exhauts.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

1fast05GT have you a report yet on the flowmasters