Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

Oh, I didn't notice that your mustang is an automatic.

FRPP doesn't recommend the HO kit for the auto. They don't have a tune for it.
I actually just read an article in the latest Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs magazine where they upgraded their NON intercooled FRPP whipple install
to the full HO kit on an auto mustang. They had it custom tuned but mentioned that FRPP had done a lot of research and found that
going over 400 hp would definitely shorten the life span of the automatic tranny. It said that they may someday release a kit for the auto but it would
come with an agreement that you were aware that you would shorten the lifespan...

Roush has been selling their 415 hp supercharger kit for quite a while now and backing up the 3 year factory warranty, so I guess FRPP is trying out a similar thing...

Old 08-23-2007, 07:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doctorstrobe

I did have a defect in the intercooler seals and had to send it in for a repair but that
was a problem with a small batch they had.
I sure hope so because if i go to install it and my intercooler is leaking, i'm going to be pissssssssed! I'm going to hook up the intercooler **** first and run coolant through it before tearing apart my engine.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

ORIGINAL: olvanish

I'm not sure if I read it right, but it's only the supercharger that comes with a 12 months warranty and it's the supercharger that voids the warranty on the rest of the drivetrain parts. So let's say if you have 20k miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, you install a SC and your tranny blows up that money is coming out of your pocket simply because Ford and FRPP are 2 different companies just like Roush Performance and Saleen Speed Lab.

What I was told by the service mngr. was that as long as your car is still under warranty, the Whipple NON-intercooled SC will not void the remainder of your original warranty on any part of the car IF (and only if) it is bought at and installed by an authorized Ford Racing tech.
Downs Ford is such an authorized dealer- and they installed my FRPP about 6 months ago- which keeps my entire car under full factory warranty on everything for 3 years (just like the Shelby GT and GTH).
Rick told me that this Whipple package is the same type of pilot program, and that it was just recently authorized by FoMoCo, and is only available at those few special dealers.
I cant see them replacing a DS, tranny or the engine if you have a S/C.....even if you have THEM install it.....for instance you have THEM put it on then take it to the track and run it like 100 times in a week and you blown the engine and tranny.....why the hell would they replace the engine or tranny for you obvious abuse ??? I can maybe see them replacing the S/C itself, but not the rest
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

A quick pressure test on the intercooler under the blower would be all you'd need to do.
Depends if you have a pressure tester or not though... I wonder if one of those vaccuum testers would work also?
If it can hold a few psi it should be fine. Though I doubt they would have let anymore out the door.
I don't know if I'd actually put coolant in it to test it. From what they said the problem is up in the top of the assembly so if it does leak it could spray all over the rotors
and the bearings...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Well, after the visit to the dealer today, he's cheaper than anybody else and mainly b/c I bought the car from him. If you guys can ease my mind on the oil problem then pretty sure I'm gonna be whippled. Anyone have pictures of their "catch can" install????
I'm not bothered about the warranty, I'd just as soon do my own work anyhow. I just dont want to screw up a good reliable car.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

aclass - get the whipple HO. we'll save a seat for
ya at the boost lounge.....

newbie - great thread, s/c's are always fun to chat about
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Don't give the oil a thought man, seriously.
The Whipple is going to reduce the life span of the motor, that's a gimme and you'll have to get comfortable with that concept as you're in the car for the longhaul. Taking the more conservative non-IC option s a good idea though, especially if you're not going to thrash it.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
kbateman

I also have a HO Whipple on my 07 automatic, installed it myself. I live 10 miles from whipple outstanding company they back their product.
Yes Ford will not warranty whipple on a automatic period even the non HO versen per Art Whipple. My car is strickly a weekend driver. A little FYI my car only has 1280 miles on it. I noticed a transmission leak at the front of the bell housing. Itook itto my dealer didn't tell them that I had modified the car at all. I wanted to see if they would fight me on warranty since I had the Whipple. I get a call from them saying that the front pump seal between the converter and tranny was leaking and they would fix which means remove the tranny. I pick the car up and all it says in the service report was replace seal and car is heavly modified. So yes the dealer will honor the warranty on certian items. If this is your daily driver dont do it if it is a toy go for it.

07 Automatic HO Whipple 450RWHP 410 FTLB, Whipple Tune, Ebach Pro-plus, Steeda pan hard, FRPP X-pipe, Mac Axle back, Coastline driveline, to many other mods to mention.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Just out of curiousity, how much is that installed? I know it varies by location...but just a ball park figure would be nice to know...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Around $7k including tune

Quick Reply: FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?