Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
kbateman

Default RE: FRPP Whipple- anyone tried it yet?

Non HO $800.00 HO $1,000.00 that is what Whipple had qouted me.

07 Automatic HO Whipple 450RWHP 410 FTLB, Whipple Tune, Ebach Pro-plus, Steeda pan hard, FRPP X-pipe, Mac Axle back, Coastline driveline, to many other mods to mention.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
kbateman

Non HO $800.00 HO $1000.00 that was te quote from Whipple

07 Automatic HO Whipple 450RWHP 410 FTLB, Whipple Tune, Ebach Pro-plus, Steeda pan hard, FRPP X-pipe, Mac Axle back, Coastline driveline, to many other mods to mention.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Generally, its RPM's that cause the most wear to an engine. As Whipple states in their FAQ.....with the new found bottom end torque, many people (especailly daily drivers or those who don't race / go nutz on the street) will find that they don't need to rev as high in order to have passing power / fun, which MAY actually increase the life of the engine. Even Kenne Bell states that its RPM (piston speed) that puts the most stress on con rods & detonation (which can increase cyl pressure's 10x the max they would ever see if running properly)

I use my car a lot, mostly highway, and I do not race (I have a bike for that....faster than any 450 RWHP car anyway). Therefore, if I get a supercharger, most of the time it will be running in bypass mode anyhow, and I will probably never have to redline it with 420 ftlb (3000RPM+) anyhow. I am going to use my Mustang as a test for the Whipple and for any who are worried.
I think I am going to throw it on this fall (only drive in the winter when the roads are clear.......fun times.) and by next summer, all of you who want to know reliabilty, I'll probably have 10-15K miles on it.

If it blows.....you'll know.....and I'll have a Ford Racing forged long block in her.
I am going to try stock clutch at first too.....if it goes, new flywheel and clutch will be put it at that time.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kbateman

If this is your daily driver dont do it if it is a toy go for it.

This is my dilemma...!!!
I do have a beater for the winter and for rainy days, but the Stang is definitely more than just a toy (I try to find excuses to drive her every day), and I really want to keep her "forever"- by which I mean until I croak....
I really, really wish I was mechanical lke most of you guys and could work on her myself, but I'm not (not even close!), and so the reliability factor is extremely important to me.
I don't mind paying the cost of the Whipple at all, but it would kill me to start having reliability issues because of it........
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Generally, its RPM's that cause the most wear to an engine. As Whipple states in their FAQ.....with the new found bottom end torque, many people (especailly daily drivers or those who don't race / go nutz on the street) will find that they don't need to rev as high in order to have passing power / fun, which MAY actually increase the life of the engine. Even Kenne Bell states that its RPM (piston speed) that puts the most stress on con rods & detonation (which can increase cyl pressure's 10x the max they would ever see if running properly)

I use my car a lot, mostly highway, and I do not race (I have a bike for that....faster than any 450 RWHP car anyway). Therefore, if I get a supercharger, most of the time it will be running in bypass mode anyhow, and I will probably never have to redline it with 420 ftlb (3000RPM+) anyhow. I am going to use my Mustang as a test for the Whipple and for any who are worried.
I think I am going to throw it on this fall (only drive in the winter when the roads are clear.......fun times.) and by next summer, all of you who want to know reliabilty, I'll probably have 10-15K miles on it.

If it blows.....you'll know.....and I'll have a Ford Racing forged long block in her.
I am going to try stock clutch at first too.....if it goes, new flywheel and clutch will be put it at that time.
This is EXACTLY the approach I am taking! My car is my daily driver and while still under warranty I am being an idiot and putting the Whipple HO in it (5 speed naturally). I am not 18 years old with a burning desire to red line the car every time I leave the driveway so I guess we'll see how she lasts. If the clutch goes, in goes an upgrade, if I blow the whole thing up, forged internals and a re-build it is.

BTW, I have the Ford Premium ESP, if you really read through what's covered and what is not you'll be surprised what is NOT covered, supercharger or not!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

"we'll see" is right!

once that HO is installed and operational, the desire
to floor it whenever there's room up ahead, will become
the norm.

ORIGINAL: Taboo
I am not 18 years old with a burning desire to red line the car every time I leave the driveway so I guess we'll see how she lasts.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

"we'll see" is right!

once that HO is installed and operational, the desire
to floor it whenever there's room up ahead, will become
the norm.

ORIGINAL: Taboo
I am not 18 years old with a burning desire to red line the car every time I leave the driveway so I guess we'll see how she lasts.
Ummm, yeah..... The one other benefit to not being 18 and having deeper pockets than I did then (32 now) is that I can actually afford to fix stuff if I break it!

Now about that $500 Valentine 1....
Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie
... This is my dilemma...!!! ...but it would kill me to start having reliability issues because of it........
If you really intend to use your vehicle as a daily driver - racking up 10,000 ~ 15,000 miles per year - do not supercharge it. Any supercharger [Whipple or otherwise] will not give you the reliability that you are looking for year after year.

If it where that easy - Ford would offer it as an option [on the stock SN197 bottom end].

On the other hand, if your vehicle is ultimately used for fun orlow-to-moderate driving - then it's a no brainer. Do it. You can't live your life waiting for some warranty to expire.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:37 AM
DUNKiNUTS

are you looking at the 400hp or the 500hp?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DUNKiNUTS

are you looking at the 400hp or the 500hp?

Looking at the 400.h.p. version.