Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Anyone have any Ford documentation describing how this switch operates and how to test it ... this should show voltage #'s in correlation to throttle movement.

As far as ECU reset with every start... so you are saying that if I start the car with the throttle depressed 1/2 way down ... The ECU will adjust this to be closed throttle (idle)? Then when I let off the pedal I assume car will stall because it will go negative throttle?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dmhines

As far as ECU reset with every start... so you are saying that if I start the car with the throttle depressed 1/2 way down ... The ECU will adjust this to be closed throttle (idle)? Then when I let off the pedal I assume car will stall because it will go negative throttle?
Damn, sounds like an analog Nintendo controller. Your dude is running crazy all over the screen if you hold the joystick when powering on the system. Hahah.... That's ok in video games. Not so much in cars....
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Well I have to disagree about what some are saying. After my custom dyno tune my car is so responsive it wants to leap forward instantly when I touch the gas pedal. I have to be more aware in traffic so I don't rear-end a slow poke taking off at a light. I think this might be why Ford set it up the way they did so that people with less driving skill do not get into trouble. I understand your take on the mechanical aspect but in my case the car has become very responsive. It may be that there are variations in every car as these fine adjustments can create wide spread variations in performance.

My neighbor came home fromNamand bought a 69 corvette w/ a 427. Wrecked it. Then bought a 1970 Chevelle, SS454 and wrecked it. Just kept sliding off the road with them.

Could very well be. I know that after Vietnam, our boys came home with a pocket full of money (maybe not a pocket full) and bought Bosses and GT's and Mach's. Many ended up in the ditch dead. Something the Gooks couldn't do. It was determined that they were not used to driving beasts and couldn't handle them.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Anyone have any Ford documentation describing how this switch operates and how to test it ... this should show voltage #'s in correlation to throttle movement.

Something to think about. Go try it and report back if you're not in an ambulance.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Well I have to disagree about what some are saying. After my custom dyno tune my car is so responsive it wants to leap forward instantly when I touch the gas pedal. I have to be more aware in traffic so I don't rear-end a slow poke taking off at a light. I think this might be why Ford set it up the way they did so that people with less driving skill do not get into trouble. I understand your take on the mechanical aspect but in my case the car has become very responsive. It may be that there are variations in every car as these fine adjustments can create wide spread variations in performance.

I agree, with my tunes the car is instantly responsive....there might be a small "gap" that the pedal goes down before it takes off, but hell if it wasnt there then i would probably be rear ended all the folks that let the car accelerated them off the line instead of using the gas......i would be very careful when doing this if you already have your car tuned properly.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueshawk

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

My neighbor came home fromNamand bought a 69 corvette w/ a 427. Wrecked it. Then bought a 1970 Chevelle, SS454 and wrecked it. Just kept sliding off the road with them.

Could very well be. I know that after Vietnam, our boys came home with a pocket full of money (maybe not a pocket full) and bought Bosses and GT's and Mach's. Many ended up in the ditch dead. Something the Gooks couldn't do. It was determined that they were not used to driving beasts and couldn't handle them.

I know. It got so bad that they took that blown stang on a tour of Nam to educate the boys on how to drive them. They even raced it down the flight deck of the MidwayI believe. That car sold on ebay a few years back. It was still a monster. They took 3 of em over there, but wrecked 2 of them. Helocoptor dropped one of them.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 AM
tube
2nd Gear Member

If you read what I said earlier, there is a LIMIT to how far it will calibrate. Just like with your car's fueling and O2 sensors, if the ECU sees the O2 sensor as reading lean, it will add more fuel UP TO A POINT. After that point, it will stop adding fuel, and throw a check engine light.

Because we are making such small changes, the ECU can compensate for the small change in resistance.

This is why there are SIX tracks, so the ECU can compare all the outputs from the pads, and calibrate the pedal. It would work just as well to only have one carbon track and one brush.

Anyway, this physically removed all deadspace from my pedal, worked perfectly for me. I'll take a video when I get home of how sensitive it is.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

If you read what I said earlier, there is a LIMIT to how far it will calibrate. Just like with your car's fueling and O2 sensors, if the ECU sees the O2 sensor as reading lean, it will add more fuel UP TO A POINT. After that point, it will stop adding fuel, and throw a check engine light.

Because we are making such small changes, the ECU can compensate for the small change in resistance.

This is why there are SIX tracks, so the ECU can compare all the outputs from the pads, and calibrate the pedal. It would work just as well to only have one carbon track and one brush.

Anyway, this physically removed all deadspace from my pedal, worked perfectly for me. I'll take a video when I get home of how sensitive it is.

Good answer.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

3 of the tracks have a gold connector under the entire thing ....
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Right, because those are the negatives, while the ones without gold underneath the entire thing are the actual resistors. There are really only THREE sets of resistors, as each one has a + and - connection. Truly you could just bend the brushes on the ones without gold underneath them and get the same effect, but you should do them all for consistency as you want them all to be at the same height so they rub the same.

Please DIGG my thread!

http://digg.com/motorsport/Improving...chanical_Means

Quick Reply: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)