Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean that Throttle Body!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Clean that Throttle Body!!!

So last week some time, there were some posts pertaining to some cars trying to stall when RPM's dropped, specifically when coming up to a stop. Seemed to be the worst with the AC running. Several folks suggested going back to your tuner, and asking about the issue. At the suggestion of one of the major tuners, I decided to clean the throttle body before going to the extent of contacting my tuner. MAJOR DIFFERENCE......

No more dropping RPM when approaching a stop, or depressing the clutch, especially with the AC blowing max. Also, a notable difference in throttle response on take off. Nice and smooth, as opposed to a bit sticky, as it were....

Next time you are at Autozone, or where ever, spend the three bucks, and pick up a can of throttle body cleaner. Simple job, about 20 minutes max, and a major improvement....Here is what came out of mine. This is at about 15,000 miles.....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/40CD8576B70044CC9682C51248DA68BB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/2E2B9B218CD24E5AB9304D9D56250D3C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clean that Throttle Body!!!

What are you using for an air filter?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:49 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

C&L CAI......

Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Grime like that won't be related to dirt getting in the CAI, it looks more like crud fromthe return/recycle pcv hose that goes back to the intake.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yep cleaning the TB on these cars is very very important and should be done about every 10k

Also make sure you use ONLY Throttle Body Cleaner andNOT carb cleaner. The issues is that with the Drive by wire the TB Blade hangs up on the oil build up and that is why you have the issues that are described above.

Richard
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

You do realize that your throttlebody has a coating that aids airflow and reduces friction, and by using the standard carb/TB cleaners, you remove this coating, right?

Also, if you run an aftermarket intake and now have a rubber hose for the PCV return (instead of the stock plastic tube) you can cut it in half and install a see-through filter from a auto parts store. It should be fine on a NA engine, but with FI, you will have a bit more blow-by and crankcase pressure, and should not restrict this venting. Just make sure you get a good breathable filter if you do.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

You do realize that your throttlebody has a coating that aids airflow and reduces friction
Right, I'm sure I'll notice a difference once that BS "coating" is gone.[8D]

Anyway, how did you get behind the butterfly? Did you remove the TB or did you just clean in front of the butterfly?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Doc Holiday

You do realize that your throttlebody has a coating that aids airflow and reduces friction, and by using the standard carb/TB cleaners, you remove this coating, right?

Carb cleaner,I would agree with you. But most of the TB cleaners are teflon safe....... Just gotta read the can......

Mike
Old 09-02-2007, 08:49 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

You do realize that your throttlebody has a coating that aids airflow and reduces friction
Right, I'm sure I'll notice a difference once that BS "coating" is gone.[8D]

Anyway, how did you get behind the butterfly? Did you remove the TB or did you just clean in front of the butterfly?
I just removed the intake tube. Sprayed the front of the butterflies, and let it drain onto a rag. Then, sprayed some cleaner on the rag, and manually flipped open the butterfly, which allows you to access the front and back....No problem......

Mike
Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

ORIGINAL: Doc Holiday

Carb cleaner,I would agree with you. But most of the TB cleaners are teflon safe....... Just gotta read the can......

Mike

True...just wanted to make people aware of the potential damage there.

Also, if you have an aftermarket intake (JLTII, C&L, etc.) and have a rubber hose for the PCV return, you can cut the hose in the middle and install a see-through filter from a parts store for a couple bucks and keep your intake and TB much cleaner! This filter mod may also help stabilize your tune with an aftermarket intake, as the rubber hose supplied is a larger inner diameter than stock, which allows more un-metered air into the engine. The venturi effect from the air rushing through the intake literally sucks air from the crankcase, through the pcv hose and into your intake (past the MAF) without the ECU ever seeing the extra air. This can cause a slight lean condition, or hesitation problems, or fuel trim issues as well.

Quick Reply: Clean that Throttle Body!!!