Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gauges are essential for SC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What gauges are essential for SC?

I'll ask the dumb question bc I want a blower but don't know this answer... What is the wideband af?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

You will see different boost levels when monitoring your boost guage. The boost level is affected by temperature, humidity, barometric pressure. So having a boost guage is nice to see the actual boost you are getting. Just because you put on a 10 PSI pulley does not mean you are getting 10 PSI. You could also be affected by thinngs like belt slip.

A wideband helps you monitor your air/fuel ratio while at wide-open-throttle. This is perhaps the most important number to know. This number can be affcted by the temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, fuel quality, etc.
If you are running high boost the wideband is the most important guage to have.
I love having a wideband and being able to watch the A/F during a run.
The other guages I would recommend would be water temp and oil pressure. The stock guages you have in the dash are just idiot lights in need form. They do not measure temerature or oil pressure. Any oil pressure at all and the needle will go to the right. Your oil pressure actually varies from 20 PSI to 80 PSI depending on temperature. Since these cars run hot with a twin-screw a temp guage is handy to monitor the engine temps and allow cool down between runs at the track.
Twin-screw= heat soak
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

If I was running boost I'd get Fuel Pressure, A/F, Boost.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Anyone install their own A/F gauge. If so whats involved and how hard was it.

Anyone try that everything gauge that reads out of the OBD-2 port. It supposedly has alot of these features.

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

You need a welding machine to do your own wideband gauge.

If you guys have any FI you NEEEEED A/F and Boost. thats a 100% must unless you love flirting with death to your car. Saying they arent "essential" is just plain stupid. Anything can change or happen and you'll be able to see it with these gauges and possibly save the car
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dex

You need a welding machine to do your own wideband gauge.

If you guys have any FI you NEEEEED A/F and Boost. thats a 100% must unless you love flirting with death to your car. Saying they arent "essential" is just plain stupid. Anything can change or happen and you'll be able to see it with these gauges and possibly save the car
Also take note the people that say that they are no "essential" gauges are the ones with no experience with FI. Just like the people that recommend 4.30's

Andres
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

For those wondering about the usefulness of a boost gauge. According to whipple if your intercooler isn't working for whatever reason a telltale sign is an increase in boost pressure.

Dex, it's your opinion that you are stupid if you don't think a wideband A/F gauge is essential. It's my opinion that you are stupid for making such a stupid statement. How many factory equipped supercharged vehicles have such a gauge?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

The s/c cars that come factoryrun so rich that you wouldnt have much of an issue with your car blowing up. If you've tuned and when you're tuned correctly youre probably around 11.4 to 11.6 and anything past that you might have some issues. Doesnt seem like much but add other .4 to that and BOOM!!! So if something hicups you would see it on an A/F wideband but if you didnt say goodbye to your car's engine. What if you usually run 5lbs of boost and with the air, something lose, etc.. you make 7lbs and youre at a good a/f ratio at 5 lbs. You will lean out your fuel too much and KAAAABBBBBBBBOOOOOOMMM

Your choice but i still think youre stupid to add a 6000 dollar power adder to your car and not spend an extra 350 on a gauge that will save your engine.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The s/c cars that come factoryrun so rich that you wouldnt have much of an issue with your car blowing up. If you've tuned and when you're tuned correctly youre probably around 11.4 to 11.6 and anything past that you might have some issues. Doesnt seem like much but add other .4 to that and BOOM!!! So if something hicups you would see it on an A/F wideband but if you didnt say goodbye to your car's engine. What if you usually run 5lbs of boost and with the air, something lose, etc.. you make 7lbs and youre at a good a/f ratio at 5 lbs. You will lean out your fuel too much and KAAAABBBBBBBBOOOOOOMMM

Your choice but i still think youre stupid to add a 6000 dollar power adder to your car and not spend an extra 350 on a gauge that will save your engine.

I have a 4psi margin of error with the whipple setup. The tune is good from 8-12psi according to them and i'm going to use the 8psi pulley.

The fact is you don't need a A/F gauge. You are stupid to run a tune so close to the edge of kaboom.

Anyone else think Dex is stupid? I think he's a stupid kid with a big ****ing mouth myself.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Actually 11.4 is still a tad too rich, on my turbo car The a/f is always 11.6-11.8. 12.0 is still safe but borderline. Now 12.5 + is a recipe for disaster. Now I will admit that is on my race tune which is when I am always checking the gauges when it is on because of the high boost (31 lbs). For that car on the 93 octane tune it has room for +3-4 psi increases since the A/F is always around 11.0.

Andrew

PS: Also remember while some cars do not bring a wideband but they do bring some type of a/f measuring device. Be a narrow band for example; although lately there are more and more cars coming factory equipped with wideband. The thing is widebands were not widely available in the 90's so most of the people that are not in the FI crowd don't understand the necessity of it.

Quick Reply: What gauges are essential for SC?