Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 No power and backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: 07 No power and backfiring

When you say "mustang expert" BTW, these are completely different cars than any mustang in the past. I wouldnt consider anyone an expert of these cars and all the computers that run them. Some of the same rules apply but alot can not be carried over from the previous gen mustangs.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:34 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

I was told that hes the man that handles all the stangs at this ford, namely shelby's and cobras, and if anyone knows whats wrong he will.

I dont care who he is just as long as he fixes the thing.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

Ok, i just got my first mustang, 07 gt manual presently almost 7k miles.

About 3 months into owning it i started having this issue. When driving, (RANDOMLY) the car has no power accelerating almost as if every gear is acting like 5th gear. It happens with a cold or warm engine.... Recently (was cold) it was backfiring so bad that it almost sounded like pennies going thru the engine to exhaust. No check engine light or any other light showed on my dash.

The only mod i have done if you can call it is a K&N filter.. But problem occured before the filter was applied.

Ive taken it to 2 dealers and they say its not throwing any codes tough luck, change gas...
I have used BP which they recommend, as well as continuously use 93 oct.

The mechanic took it home, no problem of course.

I personally think its the fuel filter but when talking to the mechanics at ford, it sounds like unless the code shows they wont attempt to fix it...

Any suggestions?
had a COP go bad on a lightning,, it would do similar things(no power -backfire), also never had any codes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The wrong fuel or an octane change won't make a motor backfire, and it's the backfiring which is the key, it's a timing issue.

I would say you've got an intermittent issue with the crank position sensor. I had the self same thing with one of my rides when it was wet, the plug got drenched and the CPS startedlying tothe OBC.
I can't imagine what code it would throw in this case, I mean, the OBC is only reacting to the info from the sensor so it remains happy.
Have a look at yours and also the plug. It could be dirty or you might have a dodgy connection in the plug.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

okay but wait, im confused now, whenever i go to bp, i pump 93 which is the best gas they have, i though that was good for the car, am i wrong? Even my dad would tell me to always put the expensive gas in a new car.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It doesnt hurt the car, the car doesnt use the 93 to its full potential but does adjust its timing for it also so it will be better than the 87
Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

Update: Ok i went back to ford again this morning. I was in for the TSB hesitation on acceleration after long cruise...

I spoke with the mechanic and he provided me with a copy of the TSB showing that it applies to 2005-6 mustangs and mine already has the updated fuel pump.

I checked my Born on date of the car (2/07) and the TSB was issued on April 28, 2006. So its likely i should have the newer pump, but symptoms sound similar

FYI:
"Issue: Some 2005-2006 Mustangs may exhibit a hesitation on acceleration after a long curise. After coming to a stop from a highway type cruise, some vehicles may experience aa hesitation when the customer begins to accelerate. Air bubbles can form aroung the fuel pup during a long cruise and be ingested into the pump on acceleration causing a hesitation."

So my next question is.. How many other 2007 mustangs are experiencing the same thing?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: xtremesaleen

I started w/ 87.... thats what i tried to tell the dealer but they just kept saying i was using cheap gas... use 93 i just think they see a girl and say whatever they want
Put the stock air box back in.
Go to your dealership, talk to the service manager. Tell them you want a technician ride-along. (Be prepared for him to possibly give you the run around.) If they won't do it, have them document why. Get a copy of it if they say no.

Go to another dealership and ask for the same thing. If they say no, have them document why. Then go to a 3rd party shop and have them diagnose the car. Take that to the dealership and have them pay you back on top of fixing the car. Sounds like a hassle I know but you will then have proof they refused to work on the car so you had no choice but to go outside of ford.

I've had to do that before and when push came to shove I told them, either reimburse me for having to go elsewhere because you refused to look at the car, or I will go to ford and the BBB. Usually you will get them to agree to a ride-along. But be prepared just in case to follow through.

Your problem sounds like either timing, bad plugs, faulty coils, or fault coil harness(es).
Old 09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

They have done a ride along even a take home, its toooo random.

I am suprised but this mechanic is actually working with me, any more info i can find on here he is going to try and work with. Until a new TSB comes out with a definitive answer.

Edit: This mechanic being the 3rd ive talked to.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM
syntex

I ran into the same problem. Recheck all your clamps on the CAI make sure they are tight and didn't slip off the mounting flange. Recheck your mass air flow sensor and make sure it is in the right way and not damaged.

The only thing using a higher octane gas will do is wast your hard earned money. It in no way will damage your engine.