Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have a problem (broken screw)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
dbwheelsjd
1st Gear Member

Default i have a problem (broken screw)

so i have a bit of a problem. my antenna screw broke off the threaded parts are stuck in the hole. i bought a "drill out" kit to remove the screw remains. going very careful, not to fast and the extracting end breaks off. @#$%!, not only has the end broke off, its stuck inside the screw remains.

tried to remove that with flathead, nothing. tried drilling that out, but the extracter is just as tough as the drill bits im tryin to use. What can i do?

Buy new antenna housing, buy a stronger drill bit, do they make a glue(epoxy) that conducts a current so i can just glue the antenna in place?

HELP!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: i have a problem (broken screw)

can you get us a close up pic?

worst case scenario, maybe you'll have to remove
the fender and drill it out from underneath?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Zrz11386
2nd Gear Member

Im sure there are others who will have much better suggestions, but i do know that if you buya better drill bit you would be able to get through it.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
dbwheelsjd
1st Gear Member

here is a close up of the broken screw/ drill bit remains.

under is a demonstartion of how much is stuck in there.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...d/DSC01108.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...d/DSC01111.jpg

sorry if pics don't work, first timer <---[sm=innoc.gif]
Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

1) use a standard drill bit to drill it out. Get a new antenna, and use liquid steel (a 2 part epoxy that turns basically to steel when cured) to secure it in there.

2) Get a new antenna base and antenna

3) Get an in window antenna

4) Get an in window antenna and have abody shop fill the hole like Odiaz did. http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...a%20Delete.htm
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 PM
dbwheelsjd
1st Gear Member

update... got the bit pieces out, tried drilling further and broke another drill bit(titanium) used craftsman and dewalt brand bits. the broken antenna sits in the hole just fine, looks like im gonna use the steel epoxy for now(reception hasn't changed), maybe i'll get the antenna delete in the future.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

[sm=boosign.gif] that sucks!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

use a dremel and cut a slit into the top,then use a flat head screwdriver and remove the broken peice like you would a flathead screw.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 AM
jeffsmachine

Epoxy will act as an insulator,You are better off using a metal thread repair insert like a Helicoil.A helicoil looks like a setscrew with a small threaded hole all the way through the middle of it.I recommend a brass or aluminum one because they are great conducters, and are soft enough to easily cut or file.
You will need an antennae with good threads on it, figure what size thread it is , and buy a helicoil with the antennae thread on the inside, and a slightly larger thread on the outside. Now you will have to drill the antennae base holelarger and rethread it with a hand tap to make new threads.Dont use any loktite in the helicoil because it will act as an insulator as well.Get a helicoil that is longer than you need,screw it in and bottom it out in the hole , then file it flush with the top of the antennae base, install antennae.
Next time You break off a screw, center punch it carefully to give your drill bit a good start, and buy some left hand drill bits.You will also need a reversing drill motor.Start with a very small drill bit, and go slow.As you work your way up to larger drill bits,sooner or later a bit will grab and spin that broken screw right out of the hole, leaving undamaged threads.If you are careful and center it accurately , you can drill right up to the thread without damaging it, and remove whats left with a sharp pointed awl.I could go on and on about this stuff, but this should get you in the right direction.
A good place to buy hardware and tools I mentioned is Mc Master Carr. They have an incredible on line catalog and deliver the next day.
Jeff