Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clayed my car! WOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clayed my car! WOW

I will be honest, I am too lazy to get out in the heat and do it. I did it in the winter but it is just HOT out here in the IE (Inland Empire-Southern Cal)
Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

Rookie question about clay....

My local parts place had a clay kit (clay block + "liquid") for $34.99. I think I read that you can use model clay + water with soap?

In any event, after a major polish I still see small debris and sh*t on the surface....I think I am due to try something else aka a clay fix!!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:01 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Satin Silver FTW
Old 09-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Taboo

My local parts place had a clay kit (clay block + "liquid") for $34.99. I think I read that you can use model clay + water with soap?

In any event, after a major polish I still see small debris and sh*t on the surface....I think I am due to try something else aka a clay fix!!
are they little specks that just won't come out? They are particles embedded in the clearcoat. Clay will remove them.
I wouldn't use regular children's clay. The good clay feels different. Plus mine matched the color of my car!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

are they little specks that just won't come out? They are particles embedded in the clearcoat. Clay will remove them.
I wouldn't use regular children's clay. The good clay feels different. Plus mine matched the color of my car!
Mostly small specs of crud, like tar the size of a pencil head or bug remnants the size of their a$$ as they commited harry-carry on my bumper...just that stuff that won't come off with the regular treatment!!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:48 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

How long did it take you to do the whole car?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Taking my time, and ICE'ing it twice, took me about 3 hours. That included detailing tires and windows.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

wow. not bad for 3 hours.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Seeing as how I work with various levels of clay (one of my other hobbies is stop motion animation, or "claymation"), and I've used several levels of clay bars, I feel very confident in answering this...

Yes, you CAN use craft clay to clay your car. HOWEVER!!!! It needs to be a special type of clay, because it needs to be sticky enough to pick it up. The only type of craft clay I've worked with that has that stickiness is something called Super Sculpey (in a white form). However, I wouldn't recommend it to clay your car, because to buy some of it, you're going to spend as much (if not more) than you would for a clay bar kit. And, the Super Sculpey requires that you get it warmed up with your hands to get it malleable...Which also makes it stickier than normal.

I personally would suggest just buying one of the Meguiars/Clay Magic/Mother's clay bar kits instead...If you want a LOT of the clay (which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, unless you use clay a LOT!), you would be better off buying a bucket of the clay bars from an auto body & paint store.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

cool, thanx for the info, I think i'll do this.

Quick Reply: Clayed my car! WOW