Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max HP with Stock Internals

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Max HP with Stock Internals

1100 i don't think you can get there with the stock bottom end, maybed with forged internals
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
SGT0779

I'm running 100oct 13psi 3.55 rear and things couldn't be better.Its set up more for top end.525 rwhp
Old 09-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz
I have read that these motors can handle upwards of 1100HP. In fact a buddy of mine took an engine out of a wrecked '06 GT and had a custom twin-turbo setup done on it, and powered his Cessna with it. It died after its first trip across the Atlanticfrom hydrolock, because of the condensation that builtup in the motor at 38,000 feet, but for $900 it was cheaper than even the fuel used on the trip. According to his truthful review, the only drawback of the aluminum 3v 4.6L in a plane was its lightweight caused the nose to constantly pitch up. Thats not really to blame though since these engines weren't meant to leave the ground.

Anyways don't under-estimate these motors!!
not with the stock rotating assembly
maybe the stock block
its the connecting rods that are the weakest point but if your gona change them might as well change the whole rotating assembly
Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

My supercharger is probably using 60-70 HP to drive itself. Couple that with the 15% loss in the driveline and my engine is really producing upwards of 600 HP at the crank.
I still find it hard to believe that it takes that much power to turn any supercharger at full boost. If that's true then whipple is either severely under rating their 500 crank horsepower kit or their supercharger uses very little power. How else can you explain people making 450-460 and even 480rwhp on the 500hp HO kit?

I emailed whipple asking for their opinion, not sure if i'll get an honest answer.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Who cares how many horse's you got...All I need is 1320' to see how fast you are ... I've seen trailer queens with $50k invested inmotor/trans work run 12 sec because of a bad suspension set up.. I've seen cars with high gear ratio's/ built suspension run the same time with little or no motor work other than a good tune and minor bolt on's.. Hp is so overrated
Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Haha ok I should point out my friend didnt really power an airplane with the 3v 4.6 LOL. I was being stupid. Which, of course, is no different than usual, I guess.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Haha ok I should point out my friend didnt really power an airplane with the 3v 4.6 LOL. I was being stupid. Which, of course, is no different than usual, I guess.
I would have never guessed!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Moose! I am so glad to finally see your Whipple! I was reading an older magazine article about Kenne Bell S/C'sand60-70HP iswhat they quoted as parasitic loss. That is at full open throttle of course under full load. I'm pretty sure that would apply to Saleen, Whipple and probably Magnacharger as well, give or a take a few HP. Also I recall reading the article about the 810 HP GT500 with the Kenne Bell stage 3 setup. They estimated that motor produced well over 1000 HP to get 810 to the wheels! Yeh, I saw Whipples website with the 480 HP rating, That's kinda up there a little too close to the extreme limit I would think. Most of the guys are not getting anywhere near that much at 10 psi. on their Whipples. Oh, by the way, You guys have nice Whipples!
ORIGINAL: moosestang

My supercharger is probably using 60-70 HP to drive itself. Couple that with the 15% loss in the driveline and my engine is really producing upwards of 600 HP at the crank.
I still find it hard to believe that it takes that much power to turn any supercharger at full boost. If that's true then whipple is either severely under rating their 500 crank horsepower kit or their supercharger uses very little power. How else can you explain people making 450-460 and even 480rwhp on the 500hp HO kit?

I emailed whipple asking for their opinion, not sure if i'll get an honest answer.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:30 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Here we go! Luke Loctite strikes again! I think you just make stuff up to increase the number of your posts, that's the only reason thatmakes any sense. By the way, Your Village called, seems that they are missing their idiot.......

Old 09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Here is their reply which seems more realistic. 60hp is a lot of hp imo. I mean the ac compressor only uses 10 or so right.

The twin screw uses only about 15-20 hp at boost. 60-70 is for the roots type superchargers.[/align]

Thanks for your interest in Whipple Superchargers,[/align]

Moose! I am so glad to finally see your Whipple! I was reading an older magazine article about Kenne Bell S/C'sand60-70HP iswhat they quoted as parasitic loss. That is at full open throttle of course under full load. I'm pretty sure that would apply to Saleen, Whipple and probably Magnacharger as well, give or a take a few HP. Also I recall reading the article about the 810 HP GT500 with the Kenne Bell stage 3 setup. They estimated that motor produced well over 1000 HP to get 810 to the wheels! Yeh, I saw Whipples website with the 480 HP rating, That's kinda up there a little too close to the extreme limit I would think. Most of the guys are not getting anywhere near that much at 10 psi. on their Whipples. Oh, by the way, You guys have nice Whipples!
ORIGINAL: moosestang

Quick Reply: Max HP with Stock Internals