Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Horsepower mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Free Horsepower mod

HAHAHAHAHA THIS THREAD HAS 513 VIEWS

we all thought it was more free mod ideas
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danomano

I cut open my air box and added a K&N air filter. It sounds awsome when you step on it.
pics please!!! i was thinking about doing something like this. please please put up pics and a quick write up...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

HAHAHAHAHA THIS THREAD HAS 513 VIEWS

we all thought it was more free mod ideas
haha we all WISH...that's what i was hoping this thread would turn into, anyway...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 AM
retropony06
2nd Gear Member

cut your antenna in half [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

OK, this is just something I heard online at another forum...

"The stock Mustang GT comes with three stock tunes...the normal, default one (the one that is overwritten on a re-flash, and stored in the re-writeable memory), the limp-mode one which is extremely restrictive (stored in read-only memory), and one hidden, "performance/diagnostic" tune (also stored in read-only memory) that they use to push the car to its limits to test it before delivery to the dealerships.This tune includes a 7k rpm redline, much more aggressive timing, and very quick/firm shifts for autos to stress the tranny. Again, it is used to dyno and/or test the Mustang before it leaves the factory to stress out the drivetrain, tranny, etc. and is tuned for maximum power (don't know if it's 93, 91, 89, or 87 octane). Also, since they use this tune to test the car, that is why brand new Mustangs usually have the computer/car reporting such poor gas mileage the first few tanks because it is used to this powerful tune."

Anyways, I'd love if someone can confirm or deny this rumor I heard. There is *supposedly* a rumor going around about how to activate this tune on other forums, some say it takes a tuner to activate it and some say you can activate it with just weird combos (like the seatbelt warning light disable trick). Can anyone shed any light on this?

edit: starting a new thread about this...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I cut all four sides of the airbox with a dremel. Only solid part left is the top. The rest of it looks like a frame. No dyno tune just the 87 tune that came with the tuner.
Which tuner (SCT, Diablo, etc)? How long have you been running this set-up? How do you know your not running lean by altering the amount of air intake?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
danomano
1st Gear Member

I am using Diablo tuner. I have not had any lean code from the computer yet. I am also getting around 22mpg in the city.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: 300GT

I cut all four sides of the airbox with a dremel. Only solid part left is the top. The rest of it looks like a frame. No dyno tune just the 87 tune that came with the tuner.
Which tuner (SCT, Diablo, etc)? How long have you been running this set-up? How do you know your not running lean by altering the amount of air intake?
Technically he has to be if he is actually pulling in some extra air, he might still be within "safe" ranges though....he cant be gaining that much by this, free or not, he isnt going to feel the 5-7 HP really
Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

You could always get some piping and route that to the intake ... sort of like a ram air effect. I didn't do it to my stang but my boy and I did it to his car and there was a noticeable difference. He has a turbo though so I'm sure that they played a part but either way the car seemed faster and temper's dropped.

Quick Reply: Free Horsepower mod