Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N vs. Airaid

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:45 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Default K&N vs. Airaid

Ok, first off, I’m sure this has been discussed a few times, but I’m new to the forum, so I will plead ignorance . I am looking for an intake for my mustang, and am interested in a K&N intake system, which I have installed on my 01 S/C Nissan Frontier, and my 04 GSXR-1000. Or…I’ve been looking at the Airaid system. The K&N system #63-2565, yeilds 15.26 rwh @ 6000rpm. The Airaid system #450-172, yeilds 17 rwh & 21 ft/lbs torque, not sure at what rpm. Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: K&N vs. Airaid

The airaid has a restrictor that allows it to run w/o a custom tune. This restrictor is removable for when you start adding mod's and get a custom tune. The k&n is just a smaller intake tube(I believe stock size). Niether will give the claimed gains w/o a tune and will give more with a tune. Is you search for cai/tunes you find numerous threads on the subject.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I had the K&N it was nice but I decided to upgrade to the C&L street. I personally thought that I had to retightin the clamps to much because when it would heat up they got a little lose on my car. I didn't have a tune and still don't.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Problem is that the K&N information provided is for a 2007 GT, K&N doesn't even have a 2008 intake out yet. I have the exhaust done, just want to get an intake that performs on the car ASAP.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: alloutt

I had the K&N it was nice but I decided to upgrade to the C&L street. I personally thought that I had to retightin the clamps to much because when it would heat up they got a little lose on my car. I didn't have a tune and still don't.
This is like a guide on how NOT to mod the car....You have to have a tune with the C&L unless you have the new C&L with insert.....

The K&N is a waste of money, Get a CAI/tune from b amachips or brenspeed....should get it in about a week and you will have a new car completely with this upgrade.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothamems

Problem is that the K&N information provided is for a 2007 GT, K&N doesn't even have a 2008 intake out yet. I have the exhaust done, just want to get an intake that performs on the car ASAP.
If you want real performance gains you'll need a cai/tune package. There are a number of different options, go to one of the more reputable places like brenspeed or b ama or a shop locally you trust.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

I am not looking to modify the car to the extent it is going to void my warranty, intake and exhaustwill just fine for now. I just was wondering about the two intakes exclusively, and I'm aware of the venturi system integrated in the Airaid system for heavier modified applications. If I want to go 200mph I will take my modified 2004 GSXR-1000 out for a spin.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I'm very pleased with the Airaid CAI.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

bluestar.... have any pics of the airaid? In the car that is!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: alloutt

This is like a guide on how NOT to mod the car....You have to have a tune with the C&L unless you have the new C&L with insert.....

The K&N is a waste of money, Get a CAI/tune from b amachips or brenspeed....should get it in about a week and you will have a new car completely with this upgrade.
I have the insert with the C&L, and YES I will be getting a SCT and tune soon. He asked my info on the K&N and I gave him my experience. I didn't tell him to go **** his car up. [sm=forgetit.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Quick Reply: K&N vs. Airaid