Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Mods and Problems

Ok, on a previous post, I was ranting about my disgust with all the little problems and tweaks with aftermarket parts, ....well,...and with OEM parts as well. So I decided to make a list of my mods and the corresponding problems/tweaks or the extra parts you have to get to make another part work correctly. How hard is it for a company to make a part for a car that actually works like it should???

Ok, here we go.....

1. Pony EmblemFloor Mats-----No problems!
2. Painted Mirror Covers-----No problems!
3. Shorty antenna-----No problems!
4. Borla Stinger Catback System----No problems!
5. Nitto NT555 255/45/18 and 295/45/18 Tires-----No problems except I'm not crazy about the color of the tire. It's more of a blueish black than a true black, and I am assuming the stickiness of the rubber is why the treads always look so dirty.
6. CT-R Chrome Wheels, 18x10 and 18x9-----Got a tire pressure fault light now. It's an irritant unless I get the sensors mounted....too much of a pain!
7. XCAL2 and Brenspeed 93 Tune-----No problems!
8.C&L Racer CAI-----Hose clamp screw housings were bending as I tightened them, so I had to back off a little. Not sure if I overtightened or if they are just cheap clamps.
9. Sequential Tail Light Harness-----No problems!
10. Hurst Comp Plus Short Throw Shifter-----Directions for installation were wrong. The shifter has vertical play in it and rattles when cold. When it's working good, it's REALLY good, but when it's rattling and noisy, it's REALLY annoying!
11. Legend Chin Spoiler/Splitter-----Does not exactly fit the contour of the area under the bumper, so when you tighten it down, it causes the bumper lip underneath to buckle, and this can show through at places. Also, there were no installation parts included and no directions. How retarded is that???
12. Roush Rear Springs-----There was no paperwork whatsoever included with them.
13. Roush Rear Shocks-----There was no paperwork whatsoever included with them.
14. BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod-----One of the grease fittings is impossible to get to when it's mounted. Other than that, I was just really annoyed that I needed to get this item to correctly align the rear end after lowering and installing wide tires. The whole concept of the Panhard rod and it's lack of symmetry just blows my mind with it's retardedness. You'd think a simpler and better idea would have been used all these years (the Watts linkage is only slightly more satisfying) than to put some diagonal rod from one end of the frame to the other.

Other mods and conceivable problems:

15. Adjustable LCA's and Relocation Brackets-----It seems that the whole lowering concept is a big "bait and switch". You need springs to lower....well, you should get shocks too....and now you're pinion angle is bad so you need adjustable LCA's......oh, you'll have to get the relocation brackets as well......Have I mentioned the adjustable Panhard rod you will be needing? .......oh, you're lowering your front end without caster/camber plates and a new alignment? Bad idea! You should get that too.
16. Off Road H/X-pipe-----Car sounds loud and good, but now you have the worry of not passing inspection or getting a noise ticket. Oh, did I mention that you have to get your O2 sensors deactivated? Hope you have a custom tune.
17. New Gears (4.10, 3.73, ...etc)-----Oh wow, these FRPP gears are only $250! Oh, wait! What's this installation kit for $150? Will I need that? I wonder what else I will need to make this part installable and workable...????

I am just frustrated with all the poor installation directions, lack of research, lack of proper fit, lists upon lists of extra parts needed to make one part work correctly. I have considered returning my car to stock and being happy and content because of all the headaches the aftermarket parts cause. Is anyone else feeling this too? I need a friend.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mods and Problems

I feel ya, a couple of my mods gave me a headache.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

your bothered by this?In the end this is what makes your car unique. They don't call it modding for nothing. At the time of installation, I know it's frustrating but when the workis done, it'sdefinatly worth it.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Just remember what mods stand for. (modifications)
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I see several mods on your list that have no problems. I find it hard to make a flat out statement that the aftermarket parts are a PITA. I mustsay for me, making it work is a lot of the enjoyment. If its causing you that much grief, Mail me all your stuff and go back to stock.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Some of those sound like bad install.....

the panhard fittings as easy to get to. Are you sure you don't have it install the wrong way. If you do install it the wrong way then one side is impossible to get to to greased but isnt hard otherwise

The 02 sensors can be fixed with mil eliminators, but most of use have tuners already and with diablo you can do it yourself and i think brents turns it off on his by default

If your shifter has vertical play in it then something isnt right, it will have a slight left to right or back and forth play, but NO vertical play at all.

Getting new rims you will need new sensors or just put them in a tube in the trunk. Discount tire can do the sensors cheaper than any place around.

I got my gears fluid and install kit for $295....and install was 350 under 700 total installed

The suspension is varying in opinions. If you take it to the track, to get the most performance, the panhard bar and brace, lcas, sway bar and relocation brackets are needed per say. If you are just a DD and strapped for cash, then lowering only really needs the springs, shocks and struts (for better ride quality, stock can be used) camber bolts and alignment. You can get away without anything else if you choose.

With every mod you can run into problems and some lack good directions. But that is the life of modding and what makes it fun. I think you should check into some of the problems you mention since some of those should not be happening.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I'll concur on the lowering - mines a DD, and all of the little tweaks for lowering plus the loss of ground clearance has steered me away thus far... just seem like a lot to deal with for 1/2 inch (thats what she said )
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

I havent tried but how hard is it to install springs? Do you need instructions?
Of course you need an install kit for the gears. Also not just anyone can do them in the driveway.
o/r x or h-pipe. uh... it was your choice to buy the illegal one and most people even state on their websites this is for off road use only.
Not their fault you have to turn off the 02 sensors.
Should of got a jLT cai no problems here[sm=roll.gif]
Chin spoiler seems like a straight forward process dont know why it didnt work for you.

JMO .02

Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

didn't read it all, but it looks like a nice
write up
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

I concur with thewarmachine. From what I’ve read on this forum many of the mods (excluding the Xcal2 from brenspeed) are not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply: Mods and Problems