Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIE FRD04-AUX

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 AM
NetComrade

Default PIE FRD04-AUX

So I had the audio guys install this thing. They used the same power for the converter as the one for the radio.. The power was obviously there, but the radio showed 'NO AUX'.
They said there might be a problem with a chip.. Has anyone had good experience dealing with PIE replacing this thing?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 AM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PIE FRD04-AUX

The PIE unit requires constant 12V power, which can be tapped directly from the 12V port above the radio. The head unit is on a relay which turns off when the key is off and a door is opened. This obviously doesn't meet the "constant" requirement so the unit won't work properly using the radio's power.

Depending on your setup, mines an '06 w/ Shaker 500, you have to disconect the smaller connector from the head unit and leave it disconnected for the PIE to work. If you connect the smaller connector to the PIE harness according to the instructions, the unit will only work until the next time you disconnect the battery, then it won't work anymore until you go back in and remove the small connector and cycle the battery.

I spoke to PIE tech support and they seemed helpful. Give them a call if you still have trouble after fixing the above issues.

Good luck.

UB10

Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
NetComrade

Thank you for your reply.
Since the siruis radio has constant power, so should the PIE (they're connected to the same wires).
I don't understand why the battery needs to be 'cycled'.. i thought disconnecting it was just a precaution during the install
Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

I just bought one,

So taking power from the 12 volt plug above the radio is the hot ticket?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: underbird10

Depending on your setup, mines an '06 w/ Shaker 500, you have to disconect the smaller connector from the head unit and leave it disconnected for the PIE to work. If you connect the smaller connector to the PIE harness according to the instructions, the unit will only work until the next time you disconnect the battery, then it won't work anymore until you go back in and remove the small connector and cycle the battery.
I also have an 06 with the shaker 500 and my PIE always seems to work for a few days, then stop. And I always have to cycle the battery. Is this because I haven't disconnected the smaller connector from the head unit? Which "small connector" are you referring to? Is it the small one that plugs in on the right hand side?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Mine was doing the same thing, so I experimented until I found that by leaving the small connector off completely it works perfectly.

I can't remember which side it was on, but there are three connectors I believe. The main harness that has all the power and speaker conductors, the antenna, then a smaller (maybe 16 pins or so) connector that plugs into the other side. From what I understand, this plug is for rear seat radio controls or a DVD player. You simply disconnect this plug and leave it off. It makes absolutely no difference in the operation of the unit, unless of course you have rear seat controls or a DVD. Then....??

You can tap power off the 12V plug above the unit with a simple crimp-on tap connector. You have power and ground conveniently located within inches of the head unit. Works like a charm.

UB10
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Mine was doing the same thing, so I experimented until I found that by leaving the small connector off completely it works perfectly.

I can't remember which side it was on, but there are three connectors I believe. The main harness that has all the power and speaker conductors, the antenna, then a smaller (maybe 16 pins or so) connector that plugs into the other side. From what I understand, this plug is for rear seat radio controls or a DVD player. You simply disconnect this plug and leave it off. It makes absolutely no difference in the operation of the unit, unless of course you have rear seat controls or a DVD. Then....??
Great, thanks...I'll have to try that.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

From what I understand, this plug is for rear seat radio controls or a DVD player. You simply disconnect this plug and leave it off. It makes absolutely no difference in the operation of the unit, unless of course you have rear seat controls or a DVD. Then....??

MYTH BUSTED!

The little plug on the right side controls the subs for the shaker 1000 so if you dont have the subs, they wont "not work" lol

I ended up calling them
heresthe install deal
plug the fat plug in to the radio 22pin one or what ever it is,
hook up power to the frd0r-aux connect it to the head unit *** but leave it unhooked to the car!!***
power up car/headunit hit aux button, it will work, let it sit that way for 2 min,then hook it up to the new pig tail that came with the frd04 (while head unit is on)
re assemble your car,
and enjoy...

ahhhh xm radio again....