Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sc reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default sc reliable?

hey guys, im really looking strongly at getting a saleen supercharger, but my biggest concern with supercharging is reliability. i want my car to be reliable for a long time and i have heard about ppl blowing up their engines with sc's. if i get 400rwhp ill be more than happy, is this realistic with keeping it reliable?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: sc reliable?

Keeping it reasonable yes. People usually blow things when they get power hungry and start swapping pullies and uping the boost. If you keep it at a stock trim level you will have no reliabilty issues.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

sc's are very reliable....You won't notice the sc until you step on it. 400rwhpshould give you 0 problems. I drive mine 75-100 miles a day.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

great. i dont drive mine very much at all, but it is the only car i own and i want to keep it for a long time. right now i ride around in my gf's new golf.lol. ok a guy in my car club put a whipple h.o. supercharger on his automatic 05 gt, he has it at 10 pounds of boost, think he'll blow it?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree the S/C's themselves are very reliabe and most are self contained. The motor should tolerate the s/c just fine as long as you limit the HP/TQ. I have the Whipple H.O. and have had no problems as of yet (knock on wood) and running 454 RWHP. Many agree that this is the limit for the HP on our cars. As sawyer said you won't notice the S/C until you stomp on it and if you drive with some restraint (hard to I know) the motor should last for quite sometime. I use the car for show and pleasure driving on very nice days and thats it so I am not worried.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

This was a good ?. I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I have a Saleen SC with 9.5 psi and drive 900+ miles a week. I hit 430rwhp on the dyno but withchanging to royal purple, adding my headers and hpipe nextweek should put me around 450 and I feel comfortable my car will be arounda few more years. Of course I will bere-doin the heads/pistons and rods ina year or so. I'll post here if something happens to the engine. I also notice that my car is supercharged the secondI push down the gas, passing, when I start the car and while the car idles. You get instant throttle response. I'm starting to feel bad for the people that don't feel they have a supercharger until they punch it. I notice mine every second I drive my car.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Whay do you notice it all the time and others say only when you stomp on it?

What is special about his setup?

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

I have a Saleen SC with 9.5 psi and drive 900+ miles a week. I hit 430rwhp on the dyno but withchanging to royal purple, adding my headers and hpipe nextweek should put me around 450 and I feel comfortable my car will be arounda few more years. Of course I will bere-doin the heads/pistons and rods ina year or so. I'll post here if something happens to the engine. I also notice that my car is supercharged the secondI push down the gas, passing, when I start the car and while the car idles. You get instant throttle response. I'm starting to feel bad for the people that don't feel they have a supercharger until they punch it. I notice mine every second I drive my car.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

^^^ nothing special ... his foot is glued to the floor[8D]
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I don't understand how anyone can say even if your not in boost, thatyou don't hear a whine the engine makes even with the slightest of pressing. I don't know about you guys. Look at all the people who add a tune and cai and say oh my god its awesome. Well take that and add a lot more, thats how I feel with my supercharger. If you open the hood I can hear the twin screws spinning away. And after adding the saleen inlet tube i can actually hear the airbeing pulledinto my steeda cai.When I tap my gas my car goes, before it took a second before the car got enough power to actually go 'throttle lag'

I finally let my fiance drive my car after she rented a mustang when she had to drive out of town. Her words were wow the car justs wants to go fast. She said it was extremely different then the car she just rented. I guess for the people who don't know they have a supercharger have simply gotten used to it.

of course i only mean those with the saleen sc.

Quick Reply: sc reliable?